Getting into 4 stroke.

GoldenMotor.com

SebastianRasor01

Aug 7, 2016
Oklahoma
Hello! I have a cheapo 2 stroke motor on a cheap frame right now, and I'd love to spend a bit more for a nicer setup. I bought my bike for $150 total, so it's definitely nothing special. My spending a bit more is probably very cheap according to the usual standards, the most I wanna spend total is $500, but I'd love to spend around $300. The person I bought the bike from says that it has a maximum speed of 35 MPH, but I think I'm getting more like 25. I'd love to be able to cruise at 35 MPH, as that is the speed limit on my road, but be able to go up to 45 MPH for short highway travel. If anyone could point me to a good kit, frame, and tutorial for my budget that would be greatly appreciated. I've been working on my 2 stroke for about a year now, but I probably don't know very much about the engine. Most maintenance is tightening and putting stuff that falls off back on. The most complex issue I've had was needing a new clutch cable.

EDIT: I forgot to include one crucial detail, I can only have up to 50cc, which is the legal maximum in Oklahoma.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
You should spend some time researching it. As I understand it, most 4 strokes don't really go that much faster than 2 strokes. They are heavier so harder to peddle without the motor going. Dax sells the TITAN XC50R MAGNUM which is 50cc 4 stroke with 3.25 hp for about $300. I'm not sure if you can get it to go 45 mph or not.

brnot

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
...My spending a bit more is probably very cheap according to the usual standards, the most I wanna spend total is $500, but I'd love to spend around $300...

I'd love to be able to cruise at 35 MPH, as that is the speed limit on my road, but be able to go up to 45 MPH for short highway travel.

If anyone could point me to a good kit, frame, and tutorial for my budget that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: I forgot to include one crucial detail, I can only have up to 50cc, which is the legal maximum in Oklahoma.
Being broke really does suck, but you have to be realistic...
You don't have the money to get what you desire bud, sorry.

Save up another $1000 and I can send you a kit that meets your 'wish list', 49cc shifting 4-stroke that will run all day in the 40 mph range on a custom gas tank frame bike specifically designed for the speeds you what you want plus the braking power to stop you.

Here is one example...

Sure, there is midway point for other systems like direct drive but on a decent bike you are still looking over $500 including a new good bike and not some Wally World $95 kids toy bike.

Heck, the parts alone were ~$600 for this generic direct drive 4-strole.

I am not being mean here, we would all love to build like you want in your budget, but it's just simply not possible bud so you best adjust your exceptions of what you can build for $300-500 as that is not near enough for what you want, I'd love it if that too if possible though ;-}

Whatever you build just ride safe OK?
When you cut corners you put you life at real risk.

Jcs1989

Jul 31, 2016
Alabama
I've bought the gas bike racer kit from gas bike.net and I'm averaging 26-29 cruising mpgs. And a top speed of 36.5 . That's with 26" wheels and 44 tooth sprocket. I bought a cheaper bike but it's held up for 100 miles . The engine kit was 220$ the bike was 25 $ so added all up I've put about 250-270 all together in mine an the only issue ive had so far was a spring tensioner I decided to add myself. Because the stock tensioner jus makes it impossible to pedal because there is no slack in the chain. But good luck man hopefully you'll find this useful. I'm sure the same kit with a 40 tooth sprocket will get 40mph on something with 26" wheels. Jus have to pedal a little more to get going. An it'll pull only up slight hills lol. I'm going with a 27.5 Schwinn as my next build. Should get a little more speed out of the taller tires. .

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
All that maters is it fit you needs, budget, and the time to keep it runing.
If you are happy with a ~$250 MB cool!

SebastianRasor01

Aug 7, 2016
Oklahoma
Being broke really does suck, but you have to be realistic...
You don't have the money to get what you desire bud, sorry.

Save up another $1000 and I can send you a kit that meets your 'wish list', 49cc shifting 4-stroke that will run all day in the 40 mph range on a custom gas tank frame bike specifically designed for the speeds you what you want plus the braking power to stop you.

Here is one example...

Sure, there is midway point for other systems like direct drive but on a decent bike you are still looking over $500 including a new good bike and not some Wally World $95 kids toy bike.

Heck, the parts alone were ~$600 for this generic direct drive 4-strole.

I am not being mean here, we would all love to build like you want in your budget, but it's just simply not possible bud so you best adjust your exceptions of what you can build for $300-500 as that is not near enough for what you want, I'd love it if that too if possible though ;-}

Whatever you build just ride safe OK?
When you cut corners you put you life at real risk.
Okay, what if I had $1000 to spend? I saw some of your 4 stroke builds that were $800 dollars, but they were already sold. I'm fine not being able to go 45 MPH, I just really need 35 MPH cruising. There's a lot of confusion in the cars behind me on when to pass, which has led to me nearly getting hit on two occasions.