RST Capa Fork

GoldenMotor.com

Mr Turdle

Mar 2, 2016
washington
Well, I think I made the mistake of bargain basement buying. I picked these forks up for $55 and free shipping from Green Canyon Outfitters. They are for my Panama Jack with a 66cc kit. It's a 1" threaded stem set up, and I cut the stem to length and installed the forks. The bike sits a little tall in the front now, so I thought about possibly cutting down the upper forks (about 2") and modifying the springs. I took it all apart, but struggled with the bolt in the bottom of the left fork tube. Pressing down on the fork didn't help, but I finally got the bolt out, and dropped the lower forks off. After taking off both the top fork caps, I discovered there aren't any springs in the left tube. Since both lower forks are joined at the top, it wasn't obvious on the bench.
This is a brand new fork, but I've already cut the stem to length, so I haven't contacted GCO about this, nor do I blame them at all. I'm not sure if I will bother with trying to find new springs, or just file it under lesson learned.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tony01

Nov 28, 2012
sf bay area
Wow, it's good to know I guess. Maybe they are all like that. I think you can sell it on the popular auction site or on Craigslist and get your money back, maybe more. I've bought stuff super cheap online then sold it for more on CL when it didn't fit :)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Not unusual to have a spring only on one side in modern forks. You could use springs from a hardware store for external springs. I did that once on an air fork that kept leaking out the air pressure.

Mr Turdle

Mar 2, 2016
washington
Thanks for the comments.
It had occurred to me that the fork may have been designed to have only one spring. Seems strange to me though. If I can source some springs, I may try to use this. I still want to cut it down about 2" though. I googled fork springs, but haven't found much available.
Thanks again for the helpful comments. This is an awesome forum!