Bill's 2000 Whizzer upgrade and restyling project

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Bill is a retired VW-Porsche mechanic that lives about a mile from Donut Derelicts. He regularly drives one of his three vintage Studebakers to the car show and that's where I met him. He has a shop in his garage with a lathe and misc. other equipment and likes to tinker. While hunting a pulley for a Briggs bike project, he came across a former Whizzer dealer that offered him a 2000 24'' bike at a great price. Bill scooped it up, (he road Whizzers as a young man). After replacing 12 spokes in the rear wheel, ignition coil and getting it running, he realized it may need some engine and carb work. I offered to help him sort it all out. Not knowing much about the newer Whizzers, I asked Ray if he may be able to give me a hand. If you know mason_man, you might have guessed he jumped right on board with a ton of info, parts and expertise he has accumulated over the years.

I picked it up Saturday and brought it home. Ray came over the next Saturday and we listed the work it needed. Bill also wants to restyle it to look more like the vintage bikes. Not an easy job for a 24 incher.

As you can see, it's missing quite a lot of the original pieces.

We stripped it down some and added a lot to our list.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi Dale, Bills bike has been reworked a few times,cylinder has valve seats stake, carb is missing parts.
I have a replacement carb. Looking forward to getting Bills bike back on the road.

Ray

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pretty cool you guys coming together on this project. I'm sure it will turn out great and best of all will be the shared friendship of you three amigos. Thanks for doing the thread and sharing the project with the rest of us.
SB

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks SB. We've seen you and your friends working together on a few projects over the years. Good to have comrades with the same interests.

Among the items this bike needs are a new front brake arm, some larger rear spokes, new tires, a belt guard, a different rear brake hub and straight handlebars with goose neck. Some of the work needed is a valve job, cylinder threads repaired, flywheel balanced, rear wheel lacing and carburetor jetting. As far as styling, the front forks need lowering as well as the seat and handlebars. Remove the rear rack, reflectors and a ton of unneeded brackets and wiring. Replace the chain guard, control levers and maybe the center stand. Tidy up the wiring that's left and clean up the rust and paint. Wax all the paint and polish the chrome.

Ray has some tuning and performance mods in mind that will make it run better, cooler and stronger.

We'll post photos as we go.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Hi Dale, SB, I have a new edition whizzer belt guard, its plastic. can be made to look more like the vintage guard by removing the front portion that covers the flywheel.
Ill have this ready too. I used a dremel tool with a cut-off wheel, then finish it by filing it down smooth. Looks like the real deal!

Ray

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Great job on the belt cover Ray.
I cleaned the cylinder, then I did a 3 angle cut on the valve seats and widened them a little for more flow. I took the valves to my friend, Yo, who owns Contemporary Auto Machine here in Huntington Beach, and he ground the valves for me. They lapped in real nice and the guides felt fine.
I installed thread inserts in the holes where the long studs go through and also in the three rear holes that were damaged. Then I lapped the surface flat on a piece of glass. After honing the bore, it's ready for Ray to do his porting and other mods.

Ray had me move the trigger plate on the flywheel rim about 7/16'' advanced.

Next I made a shaft to insert into the center for balancing. Ray says most Whizzer flywheels need it.

Installed it in the flywheel.

And put it on my leveled parallel rails and found the heavy spot.

After balancing, I will clean it up and paint it.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Parts look really good Dale!
I found the old speedometer, still need to find the cable for it.
Also ill bring one of my lay back seat post that I have.
Replacement carb will a main jet of #76, #78,maybe a #80.
I also made the air/oil separator tube that fits between the valve guides.

Moving the trigger plate 7/16 forward from the factory 14 degrees to 23 degrees BTDC helps the pickup.

Ray

Attachments

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Rolled a few dents out of Bill's fenders today. Then stripped it down a little more.
I'm working on the wheels and when I disassembled the rear, the spoke flange on the pulley side is loose and spins freely. Replacing it with a good Shimano and larger 21t sprocket. Still trying to round up a few spokes to replace some too small ones.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Yes, SB, after paying Gary of Team Bike $15-$20 a fender, I decided I have to own one. I made it a few years ago and have gotten some good use out of it. Just turn the big valve handle on top to open it up, insert the fender, close the gap and roll the steering wheel back and forth a few times to get the dents out. Keep tightening the clamp as you go. I make a lot of my own specialty tools and this one was a fun challenge. It's pretty simple in design, but as you well know, there's no small jobs. It takes a little practice and you have to be careful not to roll over the edges and flatten the bead, but I've had real good results so far. I made everything and had Dan contour the rollers.

Last edited:

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Good idea, a home made English wheel of sorts. If I ever have a need for one we may have the parts in the shop at work. Looks like a few of the conveyor parts we use regularly, and a handle from a riser gate valve.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Bill came over Saturday morning for a couple of hours and we stripped the rest of his frame.

Lots of cleaning to do. Going to remove some unneeded brackets.
Bill went home and then Ray stopped by and brought a nice carb, head, layed back seat post and speedo with him and took the cylinder with valves, piston, and exhaust elbow to do his magic and some porting. He also showed me how to disassemble the fork tubes.
Then Dan came over with his Briggs bike and helped us figure how to lower the forks an inch or so.
Going to get new fork seals and Dan will make lowering spacers. I'll post photos of the procedure and parts needed when we start putting it together.

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Dans Briggs bike is nice! Lots of specail stuff done to it.
It's always a pleasuer to sit down with Dale and these guys and share ideals.

I started reworking the exhuast elbow by smoothing and rounding out the inside, inproving the exhaust flow.

I also placed the air/oil separator in the valve cavity, this helps to lubricate the valve stims,and relieve crank case pressure.

Ray

Attachments

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Thanks Buddy.
I finished the cleaning and reshaping of the intake and exhaust ports.
Sent the cylinder, valves, head and piston to the heat coating shop. will post pics of them when I get them back, just a little info about the coating.
Applying a thermal barrier and dry film lubricant can and will help lower engine temperatures.

Ray

Attachments

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Awesome! desided to keep a closer watch on this. Love learning about your home made tool,and backyard machinics ....Looking really good.........Curt