RE: Boxer-Morini issues

GoldenMotor.com

Old Reliable

Feb 21, 2012
Santa Ana
Tried swapping out carbs back to stock 19mm. Engine still gargles from stop to 1/8 throttle. Good top end speed now. But the throttle is really touchy. If I try to keep it slower it gargles again. Also, engine still does not disengage from clutch upon coming to a complete stop. I heard these 3 shoes clutches are garbage. Does any of this sound like a potential clutch problem. Hate to take out the clutch and put it back in if thats not the issue. I have the 3 shoe non adjustable without removing it.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
the problem with 2 strokes is too rich or lean symptoms are alike. the only way to know is a plug reading. run it at your problem area and shut it off and take a reading. its not that hard. sounds like the 19 has the right main jet but you wont know for sure

Last edited:

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I feel like someone with good experience from the forum should make a tutorial on how to change the seals and do an engine rebuild on the Morini

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
the problem with 2 strokes is too rich or lean symptoms are alike. the only way to know is a plug reading. run it at your problem area and shut it off and take a reading. its not that hard. sounds like the 19 has the right main jet but you wont know for sure
You pretty much nailed it there. This will go over a newbees head easily. It certainly threw me for a loop in the beginning.

Last edited:

Old Reliable

Feb 21, 2012
Santa Ana
For ocho ninja: the franco morini usa site has a ma.ual for complete motor disassembly and assembly. Its very easy and comprehensive. As for the responses to my last posts: Dennis, I am In Santa Ana off 4th & tustin ave. I checked the plug. Its darker than normal, but im currently running 40:1. If I lift up the rear tire from thr ground, the bike runs great. No hesitation. The problem is when I put my weight on it.dnut

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
For ocho ninja: the franco morini usa site has a ma.ual for complete motor disassembly and assembly. Its very easy and comprehensive. As for the responses to my last posts: Dennis, I am In Santa Ana off 4th & tustin ave. I checked the plug. Its darker than normal, but im currently running 40:1. If I lift up the rear tire from thr ground, the bike runs great. No hesitation. The problem is when I put my weight on it.dnut
Cool! Before they only had the water cooled version... But I'm pretty sure their the same

But they have one for my motor that's awesome

Old Reliable

Feb 21, 2012
Santa Ana
The water cooled and air cooled are virtually the same bottom end, minus the water channels and water pump. Seals, clutch, and etc are all pretty much the same as far as disassembly and assembly goes. Dennis, you can reach me at 2139859985. I appreciate the willingness to help :)

Old Reliable

Feb 21, 2012
Santa Ana
Conducted an experiment. I figured since the clutch does not disengage after coming to a stop, I removed two shims from each washer stack on the clutch shoes. I also switched from atf to lucas 10w 50 clutch oil. Out of curiosity I checked the screws holding the reed cage on, and three were not tight. I corrected this, and took the bike out for a test spin. Perfect! The bike jumps on the clutch with no hesitation, sounds crisper, amd does not stall when I come to a complete stop. I figure I had a combination air leak and low clutch clearance. Ill burn off my remaining gas, and switch from 40:1 to the recommended 50:1.

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
yea, a little p.m. goes a long way. a air leak is a dangerous thing on a 2 stroke as i.m sure you know. dennis

Old Reliable

Feb 21, 2012
Santa Ana
Im about ready to throw this bike of a damn cliff... I had it running good on saturday. A few days later, acceleration from 0 is very hesitant, and clutch is responding poorly. Took the clutch apart, put the shims back in, and tighted every thing down. Did not fix the problem. Instead a bigger problem came up. A bolt for one of the clutch shoes shot out and is now putting pressure againsy the clutch bell. Try for the life of me, I can not get the clutch off to fix it. Its supposed to slide off, but thats not even close to happening. Does anyone have any advice on how to get this nightmare clutch off? Think im gonna man up and buy a new tomar. These 3 shoes are garbage...

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
I'll take the clutch of your hands if your hands? if its the stock one

Yea the clutch is hard to set up... Mine needed some heat to get loose.

Goat herder is the god father of setting up clutches, I know if you send him a pm he will help ?

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
try hitting the drum and the hub with a brass hammer, just enough to shock it loose, then pull the drum and clutch together. the bolt is wedged if you can roll the bike backwards that might help too. if you read up on goats clutch threads you gotta use thread lock on everything. one guy ruined his crank by not using thread lock. good luck dennis