A Store To Buy Chain At

GoldenMotor.com

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
I was having trouble with my chain, I think I tightened it too much when I put it together. I tried to loosen it up by using my chain tool to push on the opposite side. Anyway I pushed the pin completly out and now need a new chain. I'd like to go to a store and pick one up. I know Wal-Mart by me only has 2 chains, one a skinny one for a 10 speed bike, and another one for a BMX bike. The Kmart by me had no chains at all.

Anyone know where I can go to get a good chain without having to wait a few days to get it shipped to me?

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
Find a Tractor supply or maybe an ACE hardware store near you . Do yourself a favor and put a #41 chain on the bike. They should have the master links in a pack of 3. Should be about $15 - 20 total for 10 feet of chain ( 2 normal wheelbase bikes).

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
Find a Tractor supply or maybe an ACE hardware store near you . Do yourself a favor and put a #41 chain on the bike. They should have the master links in a pack of 3. Should be about $15 - 20 total.

I've been reading a lot of people mention the tractor supply store. I looked it up online and there is one about 40 minutes away from me. I'm gonna go there tomorrow and pick up the 10 foot chain. Maybe I'll try ACE first like you said cause ACE is like 5 minutes away instead of 40.

Thanks for the tip.

perkoff

Jul 13, 2009
Wisconsin
It will be well worth the trouble. Seems to fit the gear teeth a lot better.
I just went to the Ace website and did a few searches, first for chain, nothing came up, next for bicycle about 40 results, and then #41 and got 9 results but no chain.

Hopefully the local store has something, if not I'll be doing a lot of driving tomorrow. Too bad it will be in my car and not my bike.

eisle89

Jun 16, 2008
El Paso, Texas
If you're going to make a long trip out of it let me suggest checking out MisterRight's post
on the chain tensioner he built. I copied his design more or less and it turned out sweet.
The parts that he uses are at Tractor supply too. Don't have to worry about the stock one falling into my spokes. Have a safe trip.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
walmart has 2 chain sizes : 1/8" skinny for multispeed bikes, and 3/8" wide for cruiser bikes or bmx and also will fit 415 but you will need 2 chains cause there short,and it comes with a master link to connect them. there $7 a piece.