2 stroke on 24" moutain bike

GoldenMotor.com

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
Yay, I wasn't even trying to post a link and it didn't let the post go. ok, take 2:

I have an older Iguana Giant 24" mountain bike that I want to mount a 49cc engine kit on. The site I want to order from says that I need at least 15" on my seat tube, but my bike has just shy of 14". SO the question is, will I still be able to mount the motor? And if I can, will I have to modify anything?

to see the motor, go to zoombicycles.

Edit: ok, maybe it's a Giant Iguana, not an Iguana Giant. I bought it used and I just check online on the name so yea, whatever .

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
my bike is a roadmaster sx sport 26" mountain bike(dont use this bike,very tight fit)$20 used
i got mine to fit with a seatpost height of 12 1/2" frame cut to make 13"
it was a tight fit,but if it would have been nice not to have to cut anything
if youre close to 14" you should be fine.

you can tilt the engine for it to fit better.
make sure you have room for muffler,sparkplug,and aircleaner with filter
plus it needs to clear your peddles

Last edited:

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
Cool, thx. I am a little worried about clearance for the carb and air filer, but I suppose I could figure something out, like a little more angle on the pipe going to the carb, or maybe I cold rig a lower profile filer.

I figured out another question too. Will I have to remove my front derailer (however it's spelled) to mount the engine? It would be nice to keep it, but I've seen some pictures that make it look like I would have to remove it for the rear engine mount. And come to think of it, what about mount points for water bottle racks? I have mounts for them on the seat and down tubes. I can take hex bolts out of them, but I'm still left with the slightly raised holes for them. would I have to grind those down?

Yea, I'm full of questions, but I need to get this hammered out soon so I can order one of the last 2 49cc engines from zoombicycles before they're gone :). The free shipping is important, my budget is a little tight.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
I had to enlarge the front mount.
Tilt the engine about 1/2 inch for sparkplug clearance.
Trim the intake manifold about 1/4 inch.
And use a cut down air cleaner.
After many , many miles I finally cracked the frame on a steel frame bike.
Soon an occ chopper.

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
With any luck my frame won't crack. Giant bikes are supposed to be pretty good, better than anything you can get from wally world or kmart.

I also plan on getting a shorter plug. There was one on the Sick Bikes website that that I bet I can find local. There are lots of places in spokane to buy plugs, and at least one that tends to be cheaper than anyone else, and has a good selection. With any luck I can get a plug wire that will work too.

I guess the only way I'll know for sure is to just get the kit and go from there. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! :)

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I also just measured my down and seat tube diameter, and it looks like I won't be needing any sort of large frame adapter. Things are looking pretty good so far.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
$109.95 including shipping from zoombicycles for a 49cc kit is a great price.
i took my front derailer off,but maybe you can move yours down or up a little.
as far as the water bottle holders,just take the bottles and hex bolts out,maybe the engine mount will miss the raised holes a little by tilting the engine(i used a hole and bolt for my ground wire).

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I wish I could get the kit for $109, but it's been out of stock for around a month. I'll be getting the one for 124.95 including shipping which is still a great deal.

And I jsut ordered it, there was only one left, had to move fast :)

Ulysys

Apr 25, 2009
Spokane, WA
I was also thinking that if the bolt holes turn out to be int he way, I think they are short enough that if I use a little rubber for cushioning the mounts, it may compress enough to allow the mount to fit over it, depending on the rubber used.