Locking double brake lever scam

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I sent an email out to a couple of forum members recounting this attempted scam and then realized I should post it for the benefit of anyone else who might get suckered as I almost did.

This is what I attempted to order...
Right Double Brake Lever Assembly with Parking Brake for 150cc-250cc ATVs [E033-094] - $32.95 : , Scooterpartsmax.com
And this is what I finally ordered through ebay...
' - qqqsports''s Store - eBay Motors'

"What an ordeal this has been. I got a tip from a forum thread for locating a locking double brake lever made for scooters that even had a built in brake switch... just what I needed for the Indian Hiawatha. Already have a clutch on the left handlear, so a double on the right could control the front wheel and sidecar drum brakes. (Coaster brake on the rear). A parking brake lock is nice for a sidecar or three wheeler to keep it from rolling away on you. I went to order it for a total of $39.90 with shipping and was told they are no longer taking orders from my area. Huh? How come? A statement said I could contact them for making other arrangements. So I emailed them and discovered the company has been taken over by another and bigger company. Could not navigate through their checkout successfully, so emailed asking for some help. A Sherry Chu emails me back a couple of times giving suggestions which did not translate well enough to be of any use. I said I could pay via paypal. She gave me an account address and I sent the money, specifying what it was for, etc. Then contacted Miss Chu to let her know the transfer was completed and forwarded the message from paypal stating such. She said something about needing $99.00. I was getting a sinking, scammed feeling at this point and it took a couple of emails for her to say that if I had an order of $99.00 or more then I could order the part. I said to cancel my order and immediately refund my payment. It took a day for her to reply that I had not paid anything and to let her know if she could be of any help in the future. Goodbye.
Not so fast. I went into my paypal account and did a screen capture of our transaction with the email address of the account plainly shown and how much the payment was for. I sent her a picture of the screen capture, reminded her that I had her email stating the paypal account address and to please check her records as I clearly made payment and she is looking at the proof.

She emailed back saying she would look into it. I replied to look fast since I was losing patience and would lodge a formal request for a refund with her company if my money was not returned. By golly she did manage to find record of the transaction and returned payment to paypal. Nice try, Miss Chu. I thanked her as if she was not a crook and will leave her to get caught by someone else. Forty bucks is forty bucks, no small thing in my world.

I spent a good while searching ebay and finally found the item below under ATV brake lever. This has everything the other does plus a thumb throttle which I may try to see if I like it or maybe utilize it for the compression lever. The other nice thing is it cost half as much. Hope it isn't complete junk. I don't think Miss Chu likes me. Maybe I should post this in a thread to warn others. Think I will."
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
SB,
Thanks for warning us about questionable business practices of this company.
Any member who has these kinds of problems should post a warning here in the Swap & Shop section so others will be aware of potential problems.

Tom

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
Any company that does not provide a physical address in their 'About Us' or 'Contact Us' links is one to be wary of.

A Whois Search of the ScooterPartsMax domain shows it to be registered in the Dongcheng District of Beijing.