Tall Bike Project

GoldenMotor.com

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
.wee.Ha ha ha, You gotta be nuts. Just be sure that getting down
doesn't involve a face plant. Take care you maniac.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
IWW,
Thanks.
I handed my 10 yr old daughter my cell phone while we were both riding the bicycles. She took the pic while riding with one hand...
Yes Otero, "crazy is as crazy does"
LOL
Cheers,
-Low trying to get High-

Nov 27, 2013
earth
www.Frankenbikes.com
me on a trippple tall bike

heres me on a tripple tall bike a while back , (looks like about 60 pounds ago), this was just for playground patrol, but i used to ride a double, in traffic, daily.

it feels like an ordinary bike, until you look down! then it's all "Shrek! I'm lookin' down!"

check out other old bikes of mine at
frankenbikes.com

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
el D G,
Nice ride...Yeah I think the 'Two High' is plenty high for getting around town a bit. Any higher wouldn't be necessary except for novelty. I can get up & down from the Two High without a special step or process.
-Low-

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
I admire the courage of both you guys. Somewhere along
the line, after the first 30 or so broken bones, mine got replaced
by a strong sense of self preservation. I'm just a tad tempted,
but I've kinda used up my allotment of survivable falls.

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
O,
I haven't fallen yet, but did have one situation come up where I had to jump off. What happened was, I found a throwaway bike in my community and decided to remove some of its parts for another project I'm working on. I pulled out some tools from my fannypack to remove the stem, both wheels and seatpost. I hung the stuff from the rear v-brake posts of the top bike which aren't being used for anything (hooks). While riding slowly, the stuff decided to fall off and jamb into my rear wheel, so I kinda grabbed the brakes, did a trackstand for a few seconds, and decided to jump while keeping a hold of the handlebars...lol
Fortunately I landed well, on my feet, with no problems, but I prefer to exit the cockpit in a much more dignified way, by throwing the right leg over to the left side and then while standing on the left pedal, stretch the right leg to the ground (yoga stretch)...
-Low-
I

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
O,
I haven't fallen yet, but did have one situation come up where I had to jump off. What happened was, I found a throwaway bike in my community and decided to remove some of its parts for another project I'm working on. I pulled out some tools from my fannypack to remove the stem, both wheels and seatpost. I hung the stuff from the rear v-brake posts of the top bike which aren't being used for anything (hooks). While riding slowly, the stuff decided to fall off and jamb into my rear wheel, so I kinda grabbed the brakes, did a trackstand for a few seconds, and decided to jump while keeping a hold of the handlebars...lol
Fortunately I landed well, on my feet, with no problems, but I prefer to exit the cockpit in a much more dignified way, by throwing the right leg over to the left side and then while standing on the left pedal, stretch the right leg to the ground (yoga stretch)...
-Low-
I
Since it's been used to bring scavenged parts home your bike is properly christened now Low ;)

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
IWW,
That is for sure.
I got my car trunk full of scavenged bike parts right now waiting to make it onto the next project. Currently I'm gas engine motorizing an electric Curry full suspension scooter. I picked it up for $20 on CL with dead electronics, stripped all the heavy batteries and electric motor stuff off and installed a DAX friction drive with Mitsubishi 43cc 2 stroke. Just waiting on 2 tandem cables to finish the project & will post up some pics.
I'm also building a full suspension recumbent with pedal FWD and gas powered rear drive with shift kit. This one should be interesting.
-Low-

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
IWW,
That is for sure.
I got my car trunk full of scavenged bike parts right now waiting to make it onto the next project. Currently I'm gas engine motorizing an electric Curry full suspension scooter. I picked it up for $20 on CL with dead electronics, stripped all the heavy batteries and electric motor stuff off and installed a DAX friction drive with Mitsubishi 43cc 2 stroke. Just waiting on 2 tandem cables to finish the project & will post up some pics.
I'm also building a full suspension recumbent with pedal FWD and gas powered rear drive with shift kit. This one should be interesting.
-Low-
I'm looking forward to seeing that one Low :)

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I took '2High' the tall bike for a long (60 mile) ride this past Sunday. It was a windy cold day but I had tons of fun. I realized that it is very un-aerodynamic and needed some modification to better its roadability. I swapped the wide upright handlebars for some narrow roady bars and installed an extra set of aero bars I had laying around. I also changed saddles and installed a set of clipless pedals for more efficient pedaling. The shifting is now a friction barcon (bar end shifter). I haven't test driven it yet with these mods but am looking forward to it. Next step will be to add the engine which will probably negate the need to be more aero and more swapping to occur...lol
-Lowracer-

Attachments

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
I just got back from a 25 mile test spin on the '2High'-roady version-. The weather here was 33 degrees for the test spin, so I wore my over booties & three layers on the torso. The bike was alot faster in the aero tuck. The clipless pedals definitely help when laying down the power into the drivetrain. I started doing cycling specific exercises recently to improve my performance for my time trial road bikes & can see a marked improvement when I do the weekend group rides. If anyone is interested in this type of training, PM me on the side.
This tall bike isn't as efficient as the road bikes I ride, but I do get one heck of a workout pushing this puppy on up to Ludicrous speed...
-Lowracer-

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
60mi.,25 mi., Either it's very flat where you live or yur a dam site
younger than I am. Ludicrous speed? That anything over 10 mph?

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Flat? Yes, but we do have a 2.5 mile bridge to go over twice with wind resistance.
Slow? No... I knock out 60 miles in 3 hrs flat.
I'm 46 but in much better shape than when I was 18.
-Low-

lowracer

Oct 17, 2008
Charleston, SC
Otero,
I'm a cycling enthusiast (not just the motorized stuff) bordering on obsessive compulsive. Its about the only type of exercise I really enjoy doing & never get tired of it. Almost like a drug, I go thru withdrawals if I go a few days where I can't ride my bike. When I take vacation, I either need to bring one of my bikes or rent one. I often knock off work early (weather permitting) to get in a good bike ride. We are supposed to get sleet and snow tomorrow and Wednesday, so I made it home @ 2:30 to pedal.
Looks like now I'll have a few days to build more bike projects indoors...lol
-Lowracer-