Too much thinking is dangerous.

GoldenMotor.com

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
INTREPID--

YOUR HERCULES ladies bike IS ONE OF THE OLD DUTCHIE STYLE LADIES BIKES I RECENTLY FLIPPED FOR A PEDALER

took another bikes pedal system and welded a seat tube inside one of the 3 inch long seat tube posts ---- shoved it into the inverted seat post of the dutchie -- welded it in so it would not twist dispite tightening the seat bolt now all it needs is a tensioner for the lengthened chain--

i think it looks cool????

you certainly have a way with words and a wonderful mechanical ability

thanx

Last edited:

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
Hi intrepid

my or one of my major obstacles is my computer incompetance
that is why Silverbear has been kind enough to post under BUBA´S WORLD
in the chop /fab category
I had to send him physical disks to his remote location to accomplish that which he has been so kind to do...

if i can figure out a solution i will try to post images from here --Belgium for the next 6 weeks

in the mean time i will cut and streeeetch a frame i found today for free--
the front fork is bent way back from hitting something!!!! but turned around old style brake calipers is totally cool and symetrical!!!! tomorrow at welding class and ....

last night in welding class i sucessfuly welded one of my spliced suspênsion bikes -to a normal 28 inch frame front single handedly!!!!! classmates were amused to say the least
i love the mig the best - so much fun

on sunday go to a motorcycle-motoren- beurs --swapmeet in Leuven, Belgium by train 6:45 am and then hopefuly a bus??? but on sundays can be difficult around here walk about 7 kilometers???? if i have to but how to get back to the train station if i buy some goodies????? --- should be an adventure???!!!

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Buba,
In my experience an open ended adventure is the best kind... who knows exactly what will follow. One thing is clear in that if what you buy doesn't run and is heavy then you'll need help... you'll start to ask around to see about getting transport and will meet people, some of whom may not be helpful but someone will be and will speak English and maybe spent some time in the U.S. or has a relative in California... perhaps you know him... name is Herman? And so it goes. Perhaps you will buy someone lunch in exchange for a ride in the back of their truck and that person you learn is also a junkaholic and wants to show you some of the treasures he has in his barn... and come in and meet the wife and kids. Why don't we have lunch here, eh? Tell us about America! Would you like some wine? Of course you would.

And so it goes. Necessity finds a way and if you are shining your light, are a friendly fellow then you attract the same in others. Granted, the above scenario is a very bright one, especially when you see his collection of old Indian motorcycles. Ha!

Have fun at the swap meet...
SB

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
The motorwheel project is alive still, it's just taking a back seat while I'm building my faux Rudge autocycle. During my workshop cleanup, - which is a whole project in itself, - I found the wheel I want to use as well as another useful looking Villiers engine. I've decided against using the rear fork from that heavyweight bicycle frame and I'm going to use parts from modern mountain bike frames as well as some nice clean steel tube I rescued from the council tip. Junk mountain bike frames are a lot easier to come by and since I have several to hand I might as well hasten the cleanup along by sawing them up for useful tubing. :)

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
I robbed some images from an ebay auction for a Merkel motorwheel and added them to my stash of reference images.

If I remember correctly the weak spot with the Merkel motorwheel was its exposed gear drive that would literally grind itself to pieces once road grit got into it.

Attachments

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Intrepid:

You "found" a Second Villers engine in your garage? Wow.

Hmm, it is only a 17 hour flight. maybe I should come down there & help you clean that garage out.

Got a Waratah or a Douglas hiding in there too?

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Intrepid:

You "found" a Second Villers engine in your garage? Wow.

Hmm, it is only a 17 hour flight. maybe I should come down there & help you clean that garage out.

Got a Waratah or a Douglas hiding in there too?
Ha ha that cheered me up no end this morning. Sorry no Waratahs or Douglas motorcycles lurking in corners, just piles of old bicycle parts and reclaimed scrap steel. I was lucky when it comes to Villiers engines because I purchased several a while ago from someone else's garage clearout; - four for $NZ50.00 if I remember correctly. This was back when such things were looked on as old junk, but now they're suddenly perceived as being classic and desirable and the price has shot up something shocking. Engines that are missing parts and are in rough condition now have a $NZ600.00 price tag and I can tell you this is one girl who isn't going to bite and buy one.

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
wheelwomen could you tell us a little more about this cam [All that would be needed is a double lobe cam on the crankshaft to operate the exhaust valve] That uses no timing gears. Good luck with your projects and thanks for posting them Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
wheelwomen could you tell us a little more about this cam [All that would be needed is a double lobe cam on the crankshaft to operate the exhaust valve] That uses no timing gears. Good luck with your projects and thanks for posting them Tom
Tom, I'm sorry but my bright idea for a cam operated exhaust valve turns out to be a complete non-starter. :oops:
So it's back to the drawing board (sigh). Sorry to get your hopes up.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
There are never "non-starters"! Just ways to work around.

"Thomas Edison's teachers said he was "too stupid to learn anything." He was fired from his first two jobs for being "non-productive." As an inventor, Edison made 1,000 unsuccessful attempts at inventing the light bulb. When a reporter asked, "How did it feel to fail 1,000 times?" Edison replied, I didn’t fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps. Never Quit!"
(He didn't actually invent the light bulb. He invented one that would burn long enough to be commercially viable)

http://www.planetmotivation.com/never-quit.html

I think the side-wheel engine would be an awesome concept. But instead of it being attached like a sidecar and solid to the frame, have it "float" on a spring loaded arm. Some great advantages, me thinks. Retractable, could corner and would not take away from leaning/turning stability.

Has this already been tried and done?

Last edited:

Tom TG

Dec 10, 2012
Oklahoma
wheelwomen some of the old engines were gearless and used a ratchet mechanism that would only let the exhaust pushrod push the exhaust valve open every other time. I build replicas of old engines and thought maybe you new of a design that I had not heard of before. I think you should build your engine we will help you if you run in to trouble. Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Thanks Dan and Tom :)

Dan it's a bit hard to see, but the original design for the Wall Autowheel has the wheel carrying frame pivot like a trailing swing arm. The grease fitting trying to hide under the edge of the mudguard is the clue.

And thanks for the story about Thomas Edison.

Tom, thank you for your encouragement and offer of help. It sounds as if you have a fascinating hobby. When I was growing up one of my favourite places to visit was the local transport museum (MOTAT) and I would spend hours looking over their collection of vintage engines. A real treat was when they would have one of their special open days and some of the engines would be running. The collection included steam, stationary, agricultural and aircraft engines and they had some real gems :)

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
Intrepid:

Vintage engines can be very interesting. I still want a Knocker, but they are quite rare in the US.

I have seen a single cam lobe used to operate both the intake & exhaust valves, but it did run at half crankshaft speed.

$600 NZ does not sound too bad for a Villers engine if it is not frozen & mostly complete.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
$600 NZ does not sound too bad for a Villers engine if it is not frozen & mostly complete.
True enough, only having known the days when $NZ10.00 could buy me a complete runner I find it difficult to even think about paying these new 'collector' prices. Then on the other hand the Matchless motorcycle I bought when I was in my 20's was $NZ620.00 and now Matchboxes in the same condition cost $NZ4,000-6,000.

The simple truth is that anything old which is of good quality and scarce is going to cost money these days.

As to the engine building thing if I have to run a shaft at half crank speed in order to operate the valves then so be it, - I won't shed any tears over it, - but I would like to look into the alternatives first.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Quite frankly I think you would look dashing in gown and laurel wreath. I think that the kids are just afraid that you might tell people that your their mother. :)

Found this on the net while I was looking up the Smith Motor Wheel. The film is on the first entry.

Steve.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...2xOQAAckgpck88rNw&sig2=IJfpXTTAipB600scTR0AKw
That little wagon was scooting right along! No small thing when you consider the rider was Fatty Arbuckle, who earned his name the old fashioned way at the dinner table.
SB

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
He was one of 9 children and his birth was traumatic for his mother and led to health problems that contributed to her death 12 years later. Heaven only knows if she was able to walk again but I bet it was with great difficulty if she did.

He discovered Buster Keaton and Bob Hope and advanced their careers.

Steve.