home remedy goggle anti-fog

GoldenMotor.com

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
there's no need to spend $ on Rain-X, or other glasses/goggles anti-fog.

dab a little shaving cream onto tissue or paper towel, and rub gently into the inside of your specs. it will leave a invisible film thats fairly impervious to fogging up.

great for winter riding.

car wax works well for shedding raindrops on the outside of lenses.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
good tip.

My wife says if you lick the lenses they won't fog up. Didn't work for me, just left wet tongue marks on my glasses....

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We always used to spit in our scuba masks...worked better than the stuff they sold for anit-fog.
I do use RainX on my car windshields...'cause it gets a little messy spitting all over the dashboard.
Tom

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Man with my face mask on every time I stop I can't see anything thru the fog on my glasses, Thanks for the tip!

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
Good old Barbasol. The old foam type. Not the gel type. Twenty year supply for 99¢ a can.

Wipe it on. Let it dry completely. Wipe off the excess.

I've tried Cat Crap, Fogtech, and some no name wipes from Mal-wart. None of them did a better job at anything except draining funds from my wallet. Cat Crap put a halo around every head light and street light. Fogtech didn't last more than a day or two. The Mal-wart wipes didn't do anything at all.

I have heard the Smith makes some anti-fog wipes that are pretty good though.

One more thing to be aware of. [got this little bit wrong] The shaving cream trick works by reducing surface tension to the point where the individual micro droplets turn to a film. The moisture will still be there and there will be some visual distortion. In extreme cases I've found it to be more annoying than the Cat Crap itself but by then I'm usually pedaling hard in 15ºF.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
there's no need to spend $ on Rain-X, or other glasses/goggles anti-fog.

dab a little shaving cream onto tissue or paper towel, and rub gently into the inside of your specs. it will leave a invisible film thats fairly impervious to fogging up.

great for winter riding.

car wax works well for shedding raindrops on the outside of lenses.
Kool, thanks all! I really enjoy the "home remedies"

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
My son had a old VW and no heater, I looked at aftermarket heaters but the biggest bang for the buck was a car hair dryer that pluged into the cigaret lighter. Defogged his windows and heated up the car. I think it was from JC whitney. I hooked up the J tubes on it to get the heater working and found out why they were off, Carbon Monoxide!!! WoW what a headache! But love those old bugs. 55 mph top speed with the wind behind you. the 1200 motor 64 model and I had a 57 when I was a kid.

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
Took a VW Squareback to college myself. Gutless automatic. 63 mph top speed unless you were going downhill in a hurricane. Heater would burn the hair off the back seat passenger's ankles and still not keep the rest of the car warm. Drove 13 hours from frozen Utah to a beach near Monterey in it with 5 friends in college, hung out for 5 hours watching the bikini clad hotties before turning around and driving back home in time to make it to class Monday morning. Completely and totally idiotic. Those were the days. Sigh.

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
In the spirit of home remedies,here's a good one and I use this trick frequently. All of us has a CD,DVD or a game disc that fails to work because someone touched it with dirty hands or it was left around and caused some scratches. You can fix these without using an expensive machine I would say 8 out of 10 times some are just too heavily scratched.
Use toothpaste and a rag or a sock. The toothpaste has just enough grit to polish off those scratches. Even the gel toothpaste works. And it smells nice afterwards.

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
I don't know of its use on plastic, but for windshields, truckers way back in the day used to use regular potatoes on them. Just half them and wipe it on the glass and it works as good, if not better than rain-x.

Spunout

MB Builder Extraordinaire
Jul 21, 2008
coventry, RI
blog.360.yahoo.com
The toothpaste has just enough grit to polish off those scratches. Even the gel toothpaste works. And it smells nice afterwards.
tastes good, too! i would know.
thats very important, because my DVD player is finicky.
if the disc isnt minty-fresh, it wont play.

what ive discovered about the shaving cream, is it needs to be reapplied every other day if you're using the goggles daily. or, if just once, you've taken the end of your shirt or kleenex to clean the lenses.

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I've tried Cat Crap, Fogtech, and some no name wipes from Mal-wart. None of them did a better job at anything except draining funds from my wallet. Cat Crap put a halo around every head light and street light. Fogtech didn't last more than a day or two. The Mal-wart wipes didn't do anything at all.

D*mn,and I got three cats ,and as far as draining funds from the wallet,I already feed them,I'm lookin'for the non lumpy kind ,right lol
xct2