Old Dyno - New Forks

GoldenMotor.com

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
I wish to start by thanking everyone for all the valuable info on this website. I am spending too many hours a day learning and researching for my second build. A Dyno with a HF 79cc, what else.

Really like the look of a triple tree or a front shock. The Dyno I recently got is an old model with the D stamping behind the seat tube. I removed the threaded nut on the steerer tube and it measures 1 inch. Is there a way to get a 1 1/8 threadless fork to fit? I ask this as it seems like everyone is out of 1 inch set ups. My feeling a thread less set up is just plain superior in the long run. If a 1
inch can somehow be set up with a 1 1/8, the answer is eluding me as I search. Perhaps it is because it cant. Although they are nice, a springer is just not my style. So any help or pointing me to the right direction will be most appreciated.

Thanks guys. This will be a big slow project for me so I may lean on you all again.

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
Thanks for the link, Jeff. I hope tomorrow to get the fork out and do some serious measuring and will then let you know. Very much appreciate it.

I like the clean lines and will fit a front disc on whatever fork I go with.

Tom

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
you could always slice your head tube vertically in half or as much as you decide and weld whatever inside diameter head tube you like to the sliced sides

works great

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Jeff is right as this is the most stressful part of the bicycle frame. You don't want to cut, weld or fudge anything near or around the head tube if you don't absolutely have too.....nuff said!

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
Scotto and Jeff, be assured I won't be cutting and welding. I can only imagine all the unintended consequences from that.

Scotto, was there a lot of adaption to fit that Suntour fork to the fron of your 79cc bike. I like the looks of that too and might help this older body survive longer rides. If I remember correctly, you stated that the head tube was in between normal sizing and needed fitting for everything to work. Machine work needed there?

Begone stripping the bike down today and ordering some aluminium clamps for engine mounting plate. Motor gets delivered Friday. Yahoo!

Thanks Tom

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
Bearing cups out and the ID of the head tube measures 1.248 using my digital calipers. Triple checked the top and bottom of the tube. I guess I was expecting to see 1.125 or close for a 1 1/8 set up but I may be incorrect with my thinking.

Can I get into trouble buying a 1 1/8 fork (whatever type) with adequate head tube length adding a head set for 1 1/8, spacers, thread less stem, bars of choice? Perhaps I am not clear on sizing options that I should be. I will go back again to Sheldon Browns site but I do welcome experienced guidance.

Thanks to all for your time and any thoughts.

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
Thanks for you patience and fast reply. I can now make confident decisions, and order steering components today. Also I am thinking of holing off on my build until after the Grange race/event as I may really learn stuff there.

Motor comes tomorrow and I sure am ancy to get started but I want to reduce the should'ves on e the bike is built.

Got to finish build #2 first. Almost done.
Tom

OC-CA

Aug 26, 2013
Calif
Curtisfox, this will be a slower build than the pros seem to be able to do. Each thing I try and research to see what works best for me and my pocketbook. Not sure if I should post a build of it as it may appear to be a bit amateurish.
Will see, but I have a good shopping list together of for sure items and will be collecting more.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Don't be ashamed of anything you build! YOU are the only opinion that matters!
Share the joy with the world!
We don't discriminate here!
Junk or jewel, they are ALL fun!

joelnotroll

Jun 11, 2009
san diego
I too have an older dyno (the one with the bolt on kick stand, not the welded on kick stand). I originally ordered 1 1/8 forks. the steerer tube slid through the head tube but it didnt seem to fit right. I never pulled out the headset, but when I measured the OD of the head tube and compared it to my GT mtb headtube, the dyno's headtube seemed noticably smaller, so I just ended up getting 1" forks that fit. (i did find online some guy making adapters to use 1 1/8 forks on old 1" bikes,but i didnt want to deal with that)

I have a suspicion that the dynos with the bolt on kickstand are 1" and the dynos with the weld on kicktand are 1 1/8"

I want to see how the 1 1/8th works out for you.

joelnotroll

Jun 11, 2009
san diego
so all you need is the 1 1/8" headset for them to work? I was so confused when I bought my 1 1/8 forks, slid out the stock fork(noticed it was an inch) then slid my 1 1/8" and had them fit but didnt have the headset hardware to make them tighten down.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Scotto, was there a lot of adaption to fit that Suntour fork to the fron of your 79cc bike. I like the looks of that too and might help this older body survive longer rides. If I remember correctly, you stated that the head tube was in between normal sizing and needed fitting for everything to work. Machine work needed there?

Thanks Tom
Hey Tom, yeah it took some reaming and grinding to get the Suntours to fit my Dyno....the head tube was somewhere around 1-1/16" and I used a 1-1/8" threadless headset and fork on it. I definitely wanted a little suspension on my daily rider as I am getting older than younger laff

Keep it going!

dnut

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Don't be ashamed of anything you build! YOU are the only opinion that matters!
Share the joy with the world!
We don't discriminate here!
Junk or jewel, they are ALL fun!
Amen to that, besides i will be around for a while i hope and its fun to try and help someone else. And its a home built and there is always something that makes you say why didn't i think of that............Curt

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
My Dyno frame has the bolt on kickstand mount and it is definitely 1-1/8". All I had to do when I swapped out my fork was remove the damaged one and thread on the new one. I used a 1-1/8 threaded steerer to match what I was replacing (the new fork is not threadless).