A build for Lurker's father.

GoldenMotor.com

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Ever since I started building bikes my father has wanted one of my creations. But he told me he wanted to build one together, as a father son project over my yearly summer visit to his place in Iowa. He initially wanted to use one of the cheap chines 2 or 4 stroke kits but I talked him out of it. I have never been a fan of the kits available on the market, and I figured for just a few bucks more I could make something better.

There were 4 goals of this bike
1.recreate the feeling of riding a early 2 or 3 hp motorcycle
2.keep the budget under $550, including the price of the bike.
3.do it all without a welder
4.do it all in 3 days!

I ordered all the parts needed for the build, and fabricated a simple engine mount out of angle iron that bolted to the frame. (I made the mount at my house in about 2hrs and then mailed it to him)

All in all the build went really well, and we only had one issue with gearing, which will be solved with a simple sprocket swap.

Attachments

Last edited:

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
I like that you were able to use the entire engine right out of the box, with no special tank/carb adapters etc. I notice that you had to drill thru the frame. Looks like your engine mount are just angles and the jackshaft mount is a minibike jackshaft kit.

What did you do for the exhaust?

Very clever build. Must have helped that the frame was the right shape.

p.s. very cool that you built it with your Dad.

Last edited:

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
The engine is a 79cc from hf and the bike is a Firmstrong Chief. One of the main goals of this build was to be able to use everything straight out of the box. The only mods we had to do to the engine were the throttle linkage and reroute the exhaust using some 3/4" gas pipe bits and flanges from the local hardware store. The only reason we changed the exhaust is because the it was blowing directly at the rider.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Nice Bike! Glad to see a father and son Project come together like yours, will you be building him a better gas tank in the future?

atombikes

Feb 14, 2010
Northern VA
.....will you be building him a better gas tank in the future?
The more I look at this build, I'm not sure changes to the tank are required...I think this simple approach is better.

In fact, I wish there was enough room in a "normal" cantilever frame to do what Lurker has done here- use the engine out of the box. Only because I prefer the canti style frame.

Anyone know if it is possible to do this straightforward 4 stroke conversion on a mountain bike frame? I am thinking since that type frame doesn't have the twin top tubes like a canti frame it may be possible.

Lurker

Jan 29, 2010
Pittsburgh
Thanks guys, No gas tank planned for the future. We wanted the bike to look good but it was more important to get the riding feel and complete it in the allotted 3 days.

Mr.B.

Oct 21, 2008
Upper Mississippi River valley
Ever since I started building bikes my father has wanted one of my creations. But he told me he wanted to build one together, as a father son project over my yearly summer visit to his place in Iowa.
Next year bring a ride & schedule an afternoon where you, your father, and I could possibly meet and go for a little ride... "-)

Perhaps Anamosa...

-Kirk