motorized huffy cruiser

GoldenMotor.com

cumminsbayou

Feb 25, 2013
fairhope alabama
last weekend i got a huffy nel sumlonjh0ijhiuhijdwwhsuweif cruiser bike for my 49cc motor. Well i have it put together right now and the chain rubs the tire just a little. HAs any body had one of these bikes had this problem?

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
last weekend i got a huffy nel sumlonjh0ijhiuhijdwwhsuweif cruiser bike for my 49cc motor. Well i have it put together right now and the chain rubs the tire just a little. HAs any body had one of these bikes had this problem?
Do you have one of those Chinese motor kits and is the rear sprocket dished? If it is dished you need to flip it around so it dishes outwards. If that isn't enough you need a spacer between the mounting bracket and the sprocket. Washers will work I think.

Post some picture as this will help us to determine what needs to be done.

cumminsbayou

Feb 25, 2013
fairhope alabama
yeah it is a chinese one off ebay, but the is no dish it is flat. I will get pictures today. Washers won't work because i have the coaster brake so the bolt heads with hit.

jimmymc2286

Nov 26, 2012
Indiana
The first one I built was one of them. Do what Dracothered said and it will work. Be Sure to clean and grease the bearings. You will need to bend the brake leaver to clear the bolts. You can also dish the wheel to the other side a little, that is what I had to do.

Last edited:

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
My chain was very close to my tire, too close for comfort. I replaced it with a Wippermann BMX 1R8 chain I got from my local bicycle shop. It is 1/2 x 1/8 and is one of the strongest BMX chains available. It is nickel coated with reinforced plates. It has a breaking load of 12,500 Newton. It's thinner than the 415 and you can use it as a regular bike chain too if you wanted. Not only does it leave more room for the tire but I found that it runs through my china girl sprocket much smoother than the bulky 415.

Groove

Nov 2, 2012
Lexington, KY
I would not personally recommend buying a pre-bent brake arm. If anyone is curious why not, just check my photo gallery:

http://motorbicycling.com/album.php?albumid=1142&pictureid=6299

Regarding the chain clearing the tire, all the suggestions above are good ones. As a last resort (I know this will create a firestorm), you can position the rear wheel so that the front of it is (slightly) right of center in the frame which gives the chain a tiny bit more room. People will say that this will wear the tire down unevenly. That hasn't been my experience so far.. My other two bikes I used the hub adapter which allows for easy lateral adjustment so it wasn't an issue.

Also, you can use thinner tires (and non-white walls) :)

Last edited:

cumminsbayou

Feb 25, 2013
fairhope alabama
well i for got to get pictures yesterday but will try to day after school. I drove it yesterday for a little like 10 minutes and i think the intake gasket is out.

TheRealDune

Aug 2, 2013
Las Cruces,NM
well i for got to get pictures yesterday but will try to day after school. I drove it yesterday for a little like 10 minutes and i think the intake gasket is out.
So what did you do to correct the issue? Im having same problem with my huffy cranbrook and flying horse 66 with stock rim and bell Teflon tires.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Going with 26x1.95 size tires will solve the problem or just order another rag joint sprocket coupler off ebay and use the three arched plates behind your sprocket to space it out close to an extra 1/8" gonna do this on one of my bikes soon because I bought some new tires that will be to wide for m current set up.

Map

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
And/OR you can get rid of that P.O.S. 415 chain and run a KMC 410H and pick up almost
3/16" more clearance. This chain is narrower, lighter and stronger than kit chains.
.shft.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
And/OR you can get rid of that P.O.S. 415 chain and run a KMC 410H and pick up almost
3/16" more clearance. This chain is narrower, lighter and stronger than kit chains.
.shft.
"My chain was very close to my tire, too close for comfort. I replaced it with a Wippermann BMX 1R8 chain I got from my local bicycle shop. It is 1/2 x 1/8 and is one of the strongest BMX chains available. It is nickel coated with reinforced plates. It has a breaking load of 12,500 Newton. It's thinner than the 415 and you can use it as a regular bike chain too if you wanted. Not only does it leave more room for the tire but I found that it runs through my china girl sprocket much smoother than the bulky 415."

WARNING- running a smaller 1/8 " chain generally requires getting a smaller pitched motor sprocket to do it!

I tried it once- it was too unforgiving for me- there's NO ROOM for the slightest chain error- When I threw the chain off once- I switched back to the 415 chain and motor sprocket just to be NOT messing with it.
I use a 415 Trike/Industrial chain- same width as 415, smaller plates and HALF the weight, a better roll too.

I'd also recommend a 1.75 tire or even a 1.5 tire, if you aren't terribly heavy and plan to be on the road mostly, and not off it-
You'd get tire clearance, and have a much better roll and save all kinds of weight- 1.75 is like a 1960's standard and they are usually inexpensive- 1.5 or even 1.25 26 " tires are newer and more pricey- generall "slick" tread and probably wear a bit quick- a road tread 1.75 is a real good size that both grabs the pavement and wears well.

My cruiser several years back with 1.75 tires I got for $10 a piece in a local bike shop

Attachments

Last edited:

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Well , all I can say is most of the racers run 410's and Norm @ VMB runs the on all his bikes including the shift kits bikes like myself ,so if your throwing a chain off the there most be something wrong with your set-up. Perhaps a Rag Unit ? E-bay motor & drive wheel? I'm running the stock drive wheel that came on my new DAX GP360 Balanced Bottomend.
Needless to say quality motors have less complications ......shft.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Only time I ever threw a chain off was while trying to run a spring load chain tensioner, I run KMC415H chains and even the kit chains and have yet to ever have one single issue with them, unless the engine has the narrower drive sprocket designed for the 410 size chain the 410 chains will not work, you would need to replace the sprocket with one made for a skyhawk engine that uses the narrower chains.

Here is a link that shows chain dimensions and strength of each type chain, I'm sure that there are some varibles to this since I'm sure every type chain isn't represented here, but it is still interesting.

I've actually got some 420 chain I plan to try out on one of my bikes.

http://www.azusaeng.com/chain/mcyclchn.html

Peace, Map

cumminsbayou

Feb 25, 2013
fairhope alabama
I fixed the chain hitting the tire by getting a really skinny tire from wall mart. But it still rubbed because i had something go wrong in the rim. Also the chain fell off a lot because of the alignment issue i traded it a while back for a running snapper riding lawn mower, in hopes of buy a mongoose beast fat bike and a 66cc motor and run a hub type sprocket. Which one day i will do. There is something wrong with the huffy cruiser frame though and using a motor, I guess you have herd of the horror stories of the frames breaking while driving. I never had that happen but the bearings weren't any good, and you really need a different brake set up to make it where your chain won't hit the tire. I loved the bike but i'd find some moped tires and stuff on it if i was gonna build another. You could go with it being stock, which is what i did because I'm only 15, but I don't know if you will ever make it reliable. I just used mine for short drives around my house, not in town are any thing.