How do you protect your motorized bicycle?

GoldenMotor.com

TheBigWheeze

Mar 13, 2012
Northern Colorado
Re: How do you protect your bike?

I just use a big heavy chain that I found for 15 bucks at walmart with a padlock.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/3-8-Anti-Theft-Security-Chain/16781333

I used an old inner tube to sheath it so it won't scratch up the bike, which as far as I can tell is equal to a $60 bike chain but for way less money. Obviously, if someone really wants to steal it, they're going to, but I like the look of a big heavy chain. Also, just for fun, I cut one link off the end with my dremel, and it took me 35 minutes and three cutting wheels to get through it, so I feel pretty good about it.

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania

I used to have a cheap cable and padlock, but at those times my bicycle was garage kept. Since I moved to the city and no longer have a garage, I went to Lowes and got 3 feet of the hardest chain they had. cost me 12 or 13 bucks. it would definitely take some power equipment or a torch to get through it. I dont know that one lock is better than another, so I have a padlock I probably got at kmart or wallyworld. the lock could probably be picked, but no one has tried yet as far as I know. I have the advantage of motorized bikes not being common where I live, so even if someone could steal it, I doubt they would figure out how to operate it. Everyone I have ever shown the bike to always thinks the clutch lever is the front brake. I dont even have a front brake on my bike. when I pull up to a gas pump or the redbox, I let my clutch lever out. let someone try to steal the bike. by the time I get back, they will still be trying to figure out how to move the darn thing.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ

One very simple method I use (beside a lock) is my bike looks ratty and weird enough that thieves would not want it.
An 'ugly bike' is a double sided sword professor depending on where you live, who would be most likely to steal it, and why...

Here in Phoenix it is the illegals from south of the border looking to just take what they need for it's use, for example to maybe get to and from a job, but savvy enough to know that the person that owns the 'shabby bike' may be far less likely to call in the law, besides, it blends in well.

On the other hand a thief that is just trying to steel a 'better than walking' ride won't even get close to a kick ass high end bike any more than they would try to steal a $100,000 car over an old beat up Ford or Chevy to blend in and get around with less chance of the law looking for them.

Just my personal observations guys, not a slam at anybody's builds or the probable criminal population demographic where they live because none of us want to go there.

ON A RELATED 'FUN SOUNDING' THEFT DETERRENT SYSTEM:

I have thought about this one a few times over the years, but only used the technique once years ago as a prank, I just never forgot how neat it was ;-}

I think Shock Therapy might be a good name for it.
In short, just like the CDI (Capacitor Discharge Ignition) systems our bikes use, this uses the same principle, but with a much larger capacitor that delivers a much bigger wallop without a coil, but only once without a recharge.

With a pair of parallel metal wires or the like (like the window alarm tape) on each grip and a little riding to charge up the soda can size cap, you can set it to discharge to send one **** of a jolt to any bare hand that even touches a handlebar grip ;-}

I won't go in to what I did other than to say you need a big cap, 2200 mF electrolytic minimum (soda can size) if you want a really good deterrent ;-}

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID

I keep mine inside. Easy to do with no woman around ;)

Booby traps, even if they don't kill, might in the right circumstances and that's bad, Murder 2.

Now, at one time, I had some goverment made training pull string booby traps. About the size of a 12 gauge shotgun shell with a wire. It was loud, very loud. A siren going off might not attract any attention but one of those booby traps sure would. Did I say it was loud? Loud enough to make someone crap their pants ;)

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay

There you go, hook up a party popper to the bike and tie it around the post you're locking to, gunshot like noises always gain attention.