electroplating my own parts

GoldenMotor.com

kbot6789

Feb 26, 2010
sahurita arizona
hey guys i built a home electroplating unit. useing a atx power supply and a 5 gallon bucket anyways and i also bult a deruster tank :) anyways to make a long story short i have been takeing my bike apart im gonna paint it flat black and remove all the chrome hand build me a tank and im gonna electroplate all the parts myself and and because i live on a dirt road im gonna use my mountain bike as the doner bike im gonna plate my covers on my engine in nickle and polish it up might do the the clutch cover in brass and the head in brass im not big ongold but im thinking about doing a old school mountain bike i chose a mountain bike because whare i live is mostly dirt road i figure it would be better on the fran but anyways here is a bracket i plated in nickle i think it came out nice and heres the doner bike

Last edited:

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
Many years ago I used to have an electroplating kit. For years I plated gun parts tools and anything else that looked like it needed plating. I finally used up the jars of plating chemicals and haven't plated since. I think these days one can find the equipment on the internet. It's simple to do and works great.

Tom

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have had good luck with the de-rusting, but never plated.

the de-rusting works best with high amps, and HOT water.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
I have been de-rusting parts with a battery charger for years, but i have never plated anything yet.
I have 3 ATX power supplies sitting on the floor behind me right now.
I am very interested in your plating how-to! :)
It would be awesome to nickle plate that 1947 Briggs engine i have in the shed!