Is this type of muffler extension okay?

GoldenMotor.com

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
Ok I was sick of smelling like gas all the time so I went to automotive store and got silicone type of rubber. It's at an angle and then I have a straight pipe at the end.

Okay, what I did was use Teflon on the muffler end cap and the little pipe and hose clamp to connect the silicone. I also made a spring to hold it in place just in cas, then I used a pipe cutter and cut a pipe about 1 and half feet and connected it to the hose.

I started it up, runs great and sounds really nice, but I need to know something before I use it more. I rode it for about 2 hours and no problems but would doing this put to much restriction on the pipe? The muffler isn't gutted and the baffler is stock never touched, so would this be bad to do this? It still runs and hits 40km/h easy smooth and will go past 40 maybe 45 or 50.

Here are some pics- sorry if they're dark, I used my phone and it's night time here in Winnipeg already.

Also, I had to re size the pics I didn't know the max res was 1300x1000.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
to be honest, i just did mine about 2 this after noon, but no problems so far, other than she didnt want to idle too well with it on, so i just had to adjust the idler screw a lil

AnthonyX99

Oct 13, 2009
Winnipeg
Nice well I hope this kind of setup doesnt pose a problem as this bike is sold I'm running a test on that kind of setup for my other one which I well be switching over after I fix those shredded bolts I'm never getting a longer frame cruiser again.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
to be honest, i just did mine about 2 this after noon, but no problems so far, other than she didnt want to idle too well with it on, so i just had to adjust the idler screw a lil
If it effected yer idle, there was a distinct change in backpressure - might wanna check the plug color and adj fuel/air mix...

But - ya prolly knew that ;)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Pipe extensions can cause the engine to loose some top end power and produce a little more heat, just be aware of both and it should be fine.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i never top my motor out, so i really dont care, i putter around town between 15 and 20, and occasionally open her up just t clean the oil stuff in the pipe, and with winter coming on hard and fast, the extra heat will keep my carb from freezing up