I Need Cargo Space Any Sugestions

GoldenMotor.com

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
Well here it is all mounted up and tested. I ran about 6 miles after i installed it no vibrations and solid as a rock i can pick the bike up by the basket. I would say give me a week of riding to form a real opinion but so far so good.

Attachments

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
OH man!!!!! that is awesome Mile. Just looked it up and there is a Dutch bike dealer close to me. They don't say any where on the web pages what it costs so am sure it is astronomical.

Side note, Felt has dealers in the UK

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2008
Yeah there's a coupla US chaps on the bicycle forums who've bought the roadster bikes through that importer, think it was the churchill balloon model. Cost alot, but both chaps said it was definitely worth it.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
This is sad. I can't stop looking at that bike. So many possibilities. Delivery, hot dog cart, camping, ice cream truck/bike......

Dang, now I have to join MBA

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
a side car you say.... tell me more
Yes, a sidecar. It's very common in the Philippines. They call it many names like 'Pedicab', 'Trisikad'. They do motorized them using pumpboat engines, and sometimes they do call it 'Pumpboat' even it's a motorized bicycle. They use a rope to pull start it. And they remove all the pedals, and use motorcycle wheels and sprockets. It's driven by a dual belt pulley system, that tightens when a pedal is pressed. The pulley goes through a jackshaft with a sprocket that drives the rear wheel sprocket. The pulley in the jackshaft can sometimes be as big as 2 feet in diameter for more torque. The brakes rub on the wheels itself by pressing a different pedal. It does'nt go very fast, but has lots of torque. They usually haul cases of beer, softdrinks, etc... Driving it takes more skill, it tends to turn to the right because of the additional drag of the sidecar, and wears out your front tire more than your rear tire.

The sidecar is attached on the top tube and the down tube, and to the dropouts. Sometimes to the chainstays.

BTW, it's also used as a public conveyance like a bicycle taxi.

Attachments

Last edited:

trackfodder

Sep 8, 2008
I haven't heard any talk of flexys yet. They were popular back a number of years. That was the origional product of the Flexable Bus Co. The advantage of a leaning sidehack rig on bicycle wheels would be the absence of side-loading on the spokes, I think they race them in Australia. Saw a movie years ago called Sidecar Racer where they did.
Did I ring any bells? He he KW

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
This was an entry in a design competition for an urban cycle for the homeless . The front section is detachable to be an independent unit . The front wheel is stored like a continental kit on the back until needed . The front section holds a tent and two large recycling bins for can collecting . The nose section comes off and fits over a steam or sewer grate to circulate hot air around the tent for colder nights . ...... D.J.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
This was an entry in a design competition for an urban cycle for the homeless . The front section is detachable to be an independent unit . The front wheel is stored like a continental kit on the back until needed . The front section holds a tent and two large recycling bins for can collecting . The nose section comes off and fits over a steam or sewer grate to circulate hot air around the tent for colder nights . ...... D.J.

Hi D.J.,
Very nice urban cycle design. I like the idea of a design competition for an urban cycle for the homeless. Is this an ongoing competition? Would appreciate any info you may care to post or PM me on this. I was once thinking about push-cart/shelter combination for urban use or travel.

D.J.

Jan 20, 2008
Canada
I found it a few years ago and read the article and description . It was from a US competition . The description and site vanished about a year ago . There were more good illustrations but I did not save them . Yes the design is great but the concept originally disturbed me to think of the traffic tye-ups with thousands of these things set loose in a major urban centre . .... D.J.

Michigan Mike

Dec 9, 2008
Michigan
I found it a few years ago and read the article and description . It was from a US competition . The description and site vanished about a year ago . There were more good illustrations but I did not save them . Yes the design is great but the concept originally disturbed me to think of the traffic tye-ups with thousands of these things set loose in a major urban centre . .... D.J.
Thanks D.J. I'll google around and see what I can find.

By the way, about your cargo space problem ... years ago I used to go yardsale-ing on my motorcycle. To haul my treasure I mounted a large, heavy duty wire basket out behind the rear seat. I made a good strong metal frame that bolted to the motorcycle framework to hold the basket. Everything was bolted and lock nutted.

On each side of the basket I securely fastened large, nylon, zippered saddle bags. I also had regular leather saddle bags mounted across the passenger area of the seat. Everything was strong, secure and well mounted. Then I could put "treasure" inside and tie down and/or bunjee everything so nothing bounced or moved around. It worked well as long as I didn't buy anything made of glass!

Best till later..........
.trk.