New, lostand confused

GoldenMotor.com

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There will be NI minimoto dealers, I don't know what size chains are what, but it's likely you will find the right one without too much difficulty.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Something I had toyed with but discounted because I have no suitable workshop, was buying the engine off a 2 stroke scooter and chopping the back half of the transmission case off, and using a belt driven primary drive, with a belt tensioner used as a clutch.

Like I say, a thought I had but walked away from.

And a simple Cag build for you to ponder:

Last edited:

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
i like it. Got a friend of mine, for a laugh, he said he would help me build a chopper style frame from 1" and 1/2" box section. just trying now to decide what motor to put into it. but that's a while away yet. does any one know if there is a repair/sevice manual available for these kits? surfed the net for a few days now with no joy.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's very little as far as I can see in terms of manuals, but there's tons of comments, info on the Cags on minimoto forums.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Just a quick scrawl. You could register as 50cc 28mph rules, not too bad to get through and it relieves you of the need to retain pedals. There are a number of exhausts to choose from, just make sure you have one for the test that cuts the cackle down.

Attachments

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
you seem to know my mate pretty well. gonna get the 49cc motor, use a torque converter gearbox. but he thinks the best idea is to use the centrifugal clutch then have the jack shaft kit so i could have a six speed "gearbox". i don't know which is the better idea

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Keep it simple for the first build, then decide how much further you want to go.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
that cag build looks interesting.But what would the rozzers say when they see a "strimmer" engine hanging off the back of a mountain bike. if u check out vintageprojects.com there is a set of plans for whats called the"mite cycle". those are the plans we're gonna use, with a few mods of course

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The rozzers can say what they like if you've dotted the i's and crossed the t's for the SVA and got all the docs in place. I had thought about a simple strimmer friction drive, but in this country? It would be a tyre drier at best.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Which one's the mite cycle? Got a link?

Edit: got it, finally loaded. Eventually.

Last edited:

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
go to home page.then mini bike and scooters, and its a set of plans entitled "old school motorcycle". some of the stuff there is pretty cool

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
My coil failed from water and did exactly the same as yours. Would spark once or twice and then nothing. Replace it and be sure to seal the sidecover from the rain.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
yes i agree. friction drive?!?!?!?!?!............. not the best form of getting drive to the back wheel

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
I've ordered a new coil on the 18th/12/12 and I'm still waiting on it popping through the door. I don't know weather to take the sleeve off and put in bathroom sealant to seal up the entire hole or leave on the sleeve and put gorilla glue in there. plus I've had the cover off now a couple of times now. I'm just gonna get new gasket paper and silicone sealant just to make sure. If a jobs worth doin.............

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
It's bizarre, stuff from round the corner takes 2 weeks, we've sent stuff from Brum to Skye, 600 miles, next morning it's delivered. You work it out.

I'm going to Petrol Scooter on Friday, I think, buying bits. I was going to have the £200 4 stroke kit from Beckenham, but the geometry of fitting it, placing of tank, and the fact I was advised it has the Hoot (apparently pronounced schitt) gearbox has pointed me toward my original plan A of a Cag engine. It's probably plan A/2 as it might end up mounted over the back wheel of the bike instead of in the V of the frame.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
whats the best way of sealing the hole from the magneto? I don't want it kcufing up again, and to have to order another and wait at least 2 weeks for it arriving again.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
is it the same gear box that uses the friction clutch it the last pic you posted or is it like the torque converter?

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
To seal a hole I would use a thick, non slump, grade of silicon sealant, making sure the wire is dead in the middle and away from the edge. The orange bike appears to use the 4:1 chain drive reduction box, so it's a single ratio transmission. With the power a Cag has though, it's not a big problem, as they will haul fat blokes at 40mph in a minimoto frame.

saul

Nov 6, 2012
N.Ireland
its basically the same engine and gearbox from these guys then? http://www.petrolscooter.co.uk/catal.../category/254/

how is the engine mounted to the rack? I'm thinking about going down that route now myself. engine is raised from the ground so less chance of it sucking in water. plus I'm wondering if there is a way to silence the exhaust a bit more on my own kit. i was wondering i bought another box and joined them together