Chicago
I was wondering if anyone new of a place I can get a springer
Fork chromed plated? Thanks, im building a 50's jc higgins with
Springer fork. The crome plating is flaking off and is rusty
Any suggestions?

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
I would check with a local auto shop that does restoration, they have parts rechromed all the time. I have a friend that does upholstry on classic cars that gave me advice on rechroming parts here in Ga.

robbomberbomyea

Dec 10, 2011
toledo oh
hi! and welcome, at my reg. job, I do custom upholstery and restyling classic cars.seems not many places around anymore for re-chrome,but there is a few. cheaper to buy re-pro parts. we were doing gold plating in my shop but with gold going through the roof we no longer find it profitable. i imagine with the cost of chem,and metal going up is the reason i dont see it as much as i used to. may be better off buying new,prob cost less,, anyway happy new year to ya. and good luck.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Our friends at the EPA are responsible for most chrome plating shops going out of business. Take a look at automotive aftermarket parts catalogs, such as Speedway and others and they will warn that their chrome parts are not of the quality that were available a few years ago. Off-shore, China, VietNam, and other places are still producing chrome plated stuff but it is nowhere close in quality to the old triple chrome plating that we used to get here in the States prior to environmental laws which have restricted the use of certain materials used in the plating process.

http://mycenturylink.com/search/ind...SR&context=mycenturylink.com&q=chrome+plating

As was suggested, you might try some auto or motorcycle shops in your area and see where they get their plating done. Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

jayson

Dec 16, 2011
Chicago
Thank you guys, im in Chicago and most places only do industrial plating, I am thinking about
Removing the chrome and painting the spri
ng and trust rods what do u guys think about that ? Have any
Of you ever seen or heard of a springer fork being painted? Thanks for the advice
happy new years

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Painting over old chrome will be a challenge. You'll need to rough up the surface to to give the paint something to 'bite'. Sand blasting is one method and there are also chemical treatments that will help. There have been discussions on this topic here. http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...motorbicycling.com/f14/i-need-help-35973.html

I agree with the powder coat suggestion. Done right it is a durable coating and they have a chrome-like color. Not as shiny as chrome but close. Shop around for a powder coater who does custom automotive and motorcycle work. The bigger industrial places usually aren't as good with their surface prep as the smaller specialty shops.

Tom

jayson

Dec 16, 2011
Chicago
Thanks I was looking at a powder coating place that does bikes
In my area but I was not sure of how it would look on a
Honey comb style 50's jc higgins springer fork, does any one know of
A place that sells re pro parts for this type of fork?