Can't match the Schwinn Point Beach????

GoldenMotor.com

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Anyone one know of a close match to this bike? I've got 3 cans of paint, (duplicolor) and I still don't have it right. I think the way to go is to paint the tank white and try to add red accents with a vintage decal of some sorts. ANY help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

raptor50

Sep 1, 2008
hi moto
i have just built a point beach .if yours is red think thats the only color they come in . tester model paint made a perfect match to the red point beach cruiser.

raptor50

Sep 1, 2008
moto if you give me e-mail i,ll send you a pic of my schwinn point beach.i custom paint it and chromed it all out

raptor50

Sep 1, 2008
hi moto
the paint is made by testers you can get it at any hobby shop or maybe walmart still carries it .the paint number on top of the paint can is 1629 red metal flake.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
hi moto
the paint is made by testers you can get it at any hobby shop or maybe walmart still carries it .the paint number on top of the paint can is 1629 red metal flake.
Thanks!!!! That will help. There are some hobby shops here in KC and several Walmarts. Did you see the pic of my bike with the current tank? Pretty close, but no cigar.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
Pretty damn close. I got a can of 3 oz Testors 1629 red metal flake for my tank yesterday. I shot it today over a white base. LOOKS really close, and a wicked gloss to it. Tons of metal flake... I think if it's not close enough I'll order 6 more cans and shoot the whole damn bike. I love the color. I'll post pics tomorrow.

seanhan

Aug 7, 2008
Texas
Motoschwinn Where did you get that paint at???
I have a point beach and want to paint my gebe mounting brackets, to match bike.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
PROBLEM!!! I let it cure for a week, and when I went to fuel up a bit dripped on the tank... guess what, the paint raised. I need to find a fuel resistant clearcoat for this paint as it's a really close match... ANY ideas?

seanhan

Aug 7, 2008
Texas
try a 2 part epoxy clear coat from west marine.
it works best sprayed but can be brushed with a foam brush.
but remember the only way to remove it is to sand or sandblast.
but it's fuelprof.
West Marine: Home Page

raptor50

Sep 1, 2008
motoschwinn
here is the clear coat you need .Dupont A-7480S acryic trim and jamb.it the best clear you can get in a spry can.spry on about 4 to 5 coats . it will look like glass.did you use a good primer coat. the black paint they use to paint the tanks is junk. put on a good primer then put a base coat of white or silver then barely put 1 coat of the red on when it is all dry you won,t be alble to smell it much .then put 4or5 coats of clear . first coat lightly then the last 2 or 3 put on heavy coats just were it,s about to run.even with clear coat you still have to be careful not to spill gas on it .it won,t lift but it will dull the clear coat .just quickly wipe it off . if it does dull it .just polish it out with wax . hope this helps

raptor50

Sep 1, 2008
moto the tanks looks good .use the clear coat i gave number for. you think tank is shiney now just wait till you clear coat it will feel like glassand you can use it for a mirror.

Motoschwinn

Jun 27, 2008
Independence MO
moto the tanks looks good .use the clear coat i gave number for. you think tank is shiney now just wait till you clear coat it will feel like glassand you can use it for a mirror.
Thanks, I will we have a autobody supply shop here in town. Hopefully this clear won't have a poor reaction with the testors paint. I'll test it on something else first.

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Need automotive polyurethane, they can also match the paint color if you bring it to a jobber who sells automotive paint or bodyshop. Oil based paints like rustolum or enamels that are not harden are not very gas resistant. Look for urethane if spray can, but I don't know spray can stuff. PPG, Dupont, R&M, Martin Senoir, House of Colors, are major paint manufactors and have top quality paint, but it is not cheap. There is more people here who know spray can then I do and maybe there is a cheaper solution. Good luck on your paint job. P.S. if it lifted it must be completely removed or it will lift again