Hello from the North Coast of Ohio

GoldenMotor.com

Huff&Puff

Sep 7, 2010
Mentor, Ohio
I've built up a few road bikes over the years, but I recently decided to build a motorized bike, so here I am! I'm trying to keep it simple, so I'm starting with a Huffy Cranbrook from Wally World and a 48cc kit (Ohio requires <50cc displ.). On the advice of a friend, I ordered a pineapple adapter to replace the rag drive that comes with the kit. Also, a 50-tooth sprocket to replace the stock 44-toother (Ohio law again - gotta be <20mph on level ground). SO far, the following items are in: Engine kit, LED bullet headlight, wireless brake light (another Ohio requirement!), rear view mirror, 105 dB horn, and cupholder (!). Still waiting for the front caliper brake & lever, pineapple adapter, and drive sprocket.

My first impression of the Cranbrook is that the wheel hubs need to be readjusted and repacked, and that the spokes are a bit slack. Correcting these issues will be the first step, while I'm waiting for the rest of the parts. At least the wheels have 12 gauge spokes, so they should be pretty strong when properly tensioned!

I'll be posting pics as soon as I am permitted - I'd like to hear from others who've used the Cranbrook as a platform - any serious concerns?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Welcome from the far N.E. of N.E.O..

I have a Cranboob, and all I can say (too late) is pick out the one with the best welds on it. Other than that, especially if you have bicycle experience is they work just fine.

Huff&Puff

Sep 7, 2010
Mentor, Ohio
The pineapple sprocket mount is sold by Spooky Tooth - It's available for 12 or 14 gauge spokes, with or without coaster brakes (4 options). I have a friend who has one and he loves it. Currently still waiting for mine to arrive by their "Super Fast Magical Shipping Service", AKA FedEx Ground Turtle!