high revs. are they bad?

GoldenMotor.com

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
on my bike if im out for a long ride on the main roads i will cruise at 43kph. and the engine is singing, its a hau sheng. will having my engine in high revs like that shorten its life? it runs perfectly at that rpms and it can go higher but that just seems to high. i know that on most 4 strokes the lower the rpm the longer the engine will last. i stay on top of the oil changes ands valve adjustment(im no noob to engines) im just thinking high rpms would not be good for it.

thanks

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I would say its universal with almost any engine that as long as it sounds and feels happy, it is. If it feels like your supposed to shift gears, then your beating on it. On the Honda with a 54T sprocket, she loves 32 MPH. (53 kph) Just hums along. Any thing over that and there is just a lil vibes more but just don't sound right.

Seems like you got it though. The HS is a great engine. Building with one next. On a felt heritage baby!!!
Got a deal on it. $470. It lists for 599 HERITAGE - Felt Bicycles
dance1

Last edited:

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
I would say its universal with almost any engine that as long as it sounds and feels happy, it is. If it feels like your supposed to shift gears, then your beating on it. On the Honda with a 54T sprocket, she loves 32 MPH. (53 kph) Just hums along. Any thing over that and there is just a lil vibes more but just don't sound right.

Seems like you got it though. The HS is a great engine. Building with one next. On a felt heritage baby!!!
Got a deal on it. $470. It lists for 599 HERITAGE - Felt Bicycles
dance1
i have a 44t on the rear? so your saying a 54 will do 53 kph!!!! mine sits in perfectly at 43kph with a 44 tooth. what is wrong with my engine

civlized

Apr 28, 2009
Alabama
Probably not your engine, linnix. That hoot gearbox you have is really low geared. You can probably take off without pedaling, right? Dan probably has a grubee or something that has a different ratio. That is another big difference in that gearbox. But hey, you can run a lot smaller sprocket on your bike and have the same performance as Dan. You can probably get away with a 36t easy.

linnix13

Oct 7, 2009
in the world
Probably not your engine, linnix. That hoot gearbox you have is really low geared. You can probably take off without pedaling, right? Dan probably has a grubee or something that has a different ratio. That is another big difference in that gearbox. But hey, you can run a lot smaller sprocket on your bike and have the same performance as Dan. You can probably get away with a 36t easy.
yeah i dont ever pedal(my derailer is rusted and the left crank arm is stripped off so i cant pedal even if i wanted. im a big guy and i like having the acceleration i do so i think i will keep my 44.