An Alarm On Your Bike?

GoldenMotor.com

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
SO CHECK THIS OUT...
Links
I WAS THINKING ABOUT GETTING ONE. ITS GOT A REMOTE, HOW COOL IS THAT.IT ALSO RUNS ON BATTERIES...BONUS.
I THOUGHT OF IT AFTER A GUY FROM A DIFFERENT THREAD SAID SOMEONE VANDALIZED HIS BIKE. YOU STILL NEED A GOOD BIKE LOCK THOUGH. WHATS YOUR THOUGHTS? YAA OR NAA?

Last edited:

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
You know that thing would be pretty cool if a guy could incorporate that with...say, one of those 1,000,000 volt taser guns!

That way, when the perpetrator got near enough to actually touch the bike, a lightning fast charge of high-power voltage would drop that guy for you to find and clean out his wallet, or maybe better yet, drive him far away, take his shoes, and leave out there!

I'm interested now. Are there any techno wizards handy with a solder gun here who would like to make me one?

Maybe even start a new line of them with the motto "Reach out and touch someone!"

Seriously, I'd buy one!!

neophyte340

Apr 7, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Yeah,, this is a good idea....Id buy one and have been thinking this over for a little bit of time now. though I have to say.... Isnt the web full of these already..it seems so obvious. Hasnt this been iterated before by other people ,,It seems with all the work you put it, 25 dollars of insurance is a smart move. Although in Texas our insurance is measured in gauges.

But seriously..I was thinking something like Ultra long range RFID similar to lojack.
Possibly building one but parts are expensive.

Some companies will offer a type of asset recovery using RFID. Thats what Ive been thinking, the better RFID Vendor use algorithms like RSSI or TDOA to determine the bike or whatevers location in real time...other rfid vendors just have a general long range detection,,,hard to pinpoint exactly ya know...crap software.
you can stick the metal tag on the bike and hide it somehow. They run for 5 to 10 years.

wifi rfid.....im not sure...what the best option is

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I use one of these bike alarms on my mountain bike...it's well hidden and secured in an under seat bag, it has a charging jack too so I can recharge when required. The alarm is plenty loud enough to get noticed and being in the nylon seat bag makes little difference in the loudness. The remote is pretty good too with great range and as well you adjust the alarm's functions like sensitivity, chirp mode etc with it...has a panic mode too. An alarm cannot be ones only means of security for a bike unfortunately though, gotta have good locks too that require enough tampering to set the alarm off which hopefully will deter the bad person from continuing.

Cheers...

Last edited:

commander

Mar 19, 2009
penn state
I just dont ride my bike and then leave it alone , I would if it didnt have a motor on it . But my build is to important to leave it sitting somewhere all by itself ya know. I like the lojack idea the best myself, be very cool to have to cops locate my bike and discover the culprit red handed with it and see the surprise in his eyes.

But the punishment for bike theft is not that hi , thats why it happens alot in city areas.Since most bikes are not that valuable like say a car would be , its barely a slap on the wrist when they get caught.

another idea that you mentioned is the electric shock treatment if someone touched your bike. It could be done easily enough with some techy knowledge.Plus to me that would be most satisfying, you could rig it to the brake or clutch levers so everytime they touched it , they would get a nice jolt . lol

Weedylot

Angry Old Fart
Jun 12, 2008
Tucson Arizona
I was at the Whizzer dealer's house, talking shop. He showed me two holes in the ground where a 2 inch steel pipe WAS concreted down 18 inches deep.
He was in his garage, about twenty feet away, working. He went inside to pee, about 90 seconds. As he went back outside he heard an engine revving and some metallic clanking. When he stepped a few feet in the direction of his two Whizzers chained to the steel pipe, he saw a pick-up truck spinning its tires in the dirt. A young man was throwing some clutter into the bed, he didn't compute what his eyes were telling him; thieves had just pulled the pipe out of the ground and were driving away with 2/3 of his inventory, two 2005 Whizzers.
He showed me an alarm he installed on his one remaining bike. It was a car system adapted to his bike. It was installed by his son a car alarm installer. It was so discrete no part of it showed at all, well, except for a small bundle of wires going up the seat post.
He probably isn't a Whizzer dealer anymore, he got fed up with the company, and the theft.

Tonypedia

Apr 8, 2009
Cleveland 'burbs
It would actually be extremely simple to rig up an alarm to activate a taser instead of, or in addition to going off. The tricky part would be where to hide it all (it would be as big as a bike alarm+taser) and what to charge with the taser. Personally, I would imagine the best place to put it would be 2 small electrodes on the seat... (they could be as simple as 2 small wires that you would never feel). When someone else sat down on it, they would receive one **** of a shock.

Its a cool idea, I looked into doing something similar to my car... charging it against the ground so that if someone touched it, they would receive a taser shock. Its definitely not quite legal to have a security system on a vehicle that attack someone.

Cabinfever1977

Mar 23, 2009
Upstate,NY
if your bike is getting stolen,even with a lock or 2,you probally want to move to another town or neighborhood.if its getting vandelized or damaged because of having a engine on there,you might want to hide gas lines,locking gas cap and side engine covers.at your house or apartment you could put a tarp or cover over it and wrap a chain around the bike and tarp and double lock it.if it still gets stolen its moving time.also if you put a tazer on it , it might shock a young kid and hurt them or it might blow your bike up(remember the gas tank and carb does vent gas fumes
or it might kill your cdi and electronics)
or you could do what i do,i keep it in my living room,and when i go to the store,im only in there a few minuits and 1 lock works for me.how come you dont see anyone vandelizing a motorcycle.

Last edited:

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Booby trapping anything is illegal I think...and if a booby trapped bike is parked in a public location your leaving yourself wide open to all sorts of trouble such as a little kid being the victim of your booby trap.

DEATH4OF4

Mar 22, 2009
Green Bay, Wisconsin (Frozen Tundra)
I Use My Bike Alot. For At Least 3 Seasons. When I Go To A Store And I Cant See My Bike I'd Just Like To Know That "if" Some One Messes With My Ride, An Alarm Will Go Off And Hopefully They Leave. You Wouldn't Be Able To Use A Bike Rack, Cause If Someone Bumps Your Bike On Accident Or Its A Loose Crappy Bike Rack Your Alarms Going To Go Off And Scare The Crap Out Of Some One. A Shock Is Not Logical, Due To Lawsuits And Electric Issues, But Is A Funny Thought. I Kinda Like The One Rockenstein Suggested Cause Its Smaller. On The Lock Subject They Make This "new York" Lock For 50 Bucks That Is Huge. I Was Thinking About Getting It, But It's So Big It Would Be Overkill. I'm Thinking That The Alarm Is A Good Idea... To Deter Aholes. I Always Use A Big Light Pole To Lock Up To When I'm Out And At Home It's Either Locked In The Garage Or In The Basement.
...............................................................................................
I'd Rather Be Riding My Mb That Riding My Bm.

Last edited:

WOLF IV

Jan 13, 2009
dana point, ca.
Has Anyone Heard Of The Alarm That Says, " Step Away From The Vehicle , This Vehicle Is Armed By Viper". When You Get Too Close.?.. Its Awesome! Scared The P**s Out Of Me In My High Sch. Prkn Lot Years Ago..oh Man That Would Be Great!!! "step Away From The Bike...:) I Too Worry About My Bike Being Stollen!!!!!!!!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Have the alarm trigger a relay for a switch to the tazer instead of the tazers original switch. I can see it going down the road, would be way worse than getting shocked from the spark plug wire. Still this sort of idea is a real liability issue. Haven you herd criminals have all the rights this days?

hiker472

Nov 6, 2008
Ontonagon County,Upper Michigan
OK, so maybe not something as strong as a taser, but how about something like a shock collar for dogs? I've got one of these for stubborn dogs and works up to a mile away.

I know, the problem is being able to hook it up so they get the shock, but who knows....maybe a little creativity and it could be done. All it is, is a little box with two metal points.

It sure would be a riot to be able to see someone steal your bike, after they neglected the alarm sounding off, and then to be able to give that guy a real zap! Rig it somehow to the handle bars and maybe get the guy to eat some pavement!

philymitch

Feb 7, 2009
Fresno CA USA
OK, so maybe not something as strong as a taser, but how about something like a shock collar for dogs? I've got one of these for stubborn dogs and works up to a mile away.

I know, the problem is being able to hook it up so they get the shock, but who knows....maybe a little creativity and it could be done. All it is, is a little box with two metal points.

It sure would be a riot to be able to see someone steal your bike, after they neglected the alarm sounding off, and then to be able to give that guy a real zap! Rig it somehow to the handle bars and maybe get the guy to eat some pavement!
Maybe if you use the two shock points on the handle grips....... one on both sides and the trigger under the seat so when they sit down to ride off the bike shocks them. this would work so when kids walk up and just touch the bike it would not shock them.....you would have to actually sit down on the seat and have both hands on the grips to get the shock. Don't forget these bikes run on gas... you don't want electricity flowing threw the frame into the tank.......booooooooom that would be a real problem then.

marsrover

Mar 26, 2009
middle of nowhere
i got an idea DON'T LET U BIKE LEAVE U SIGHT
duh!
ok make u own sensor and rip a wii controler and get the sensor out (or beter RIP A IPOD TOUCH APART TO GET THE SENSOR) (I HATE APPLE)
then rig it up to a speaker
make a chip
make chip make speaker say I"M BEING STOLEN SOMEONE STOP THE PERSON ON ME
DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
LOUD SIREN
he he