Help there's a hole in my engine

GoldenMotor.com
Mar 16, 2016
america
Pretty simple, there's a small hole in my engine. I attached a picture. If you can't see it it's parallel with the nut that holds the carb on. Can this be fixed? Could i solder it closed? Or would it have to be a weld? Quick answers would be greatly appreciated i ride my bike to class and ill need it tomorrow. Thanks.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2016
america
It is not a casting error it just happened. Having a hole in the side of the engine absolutely has an effect on functionality. It sounds horrible and has little power.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
It is not a casting error it just happened. Having a hole in the side of the engine absolutely has an effect on functionality. It sounds horrible and has little power.
If you take the intake off can you see the hole on the inside?

Poke a piece of wire through the hole.

99.9999% it is just a common casting flaw that does not go
all the way to your intake port so it will have no effect.

Probably didn't just happen but you just noticed it......

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
can't see it, so don't know - but I do know that nothing can be parallel to an object at a point, so probably why I can't find it

Mar 16, 2016
america
It does go all the way through. It now makes a very loud flapping noise like the head gasket isnt tightened down all the way (which it is, i checked). It just happened, i can feel air on my leg from the hole. It isn't a casting error else it would have always made this noise and blown air out the hole, which it hasn't.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Haven't had to say this since I was about 11, but "No DUHHHH!". Your picture shows a prime-candidate for casting-residue flaking. Also, you neglected to include important information like your engine sounding horrible and having little power.

Take a better picture and take some time to provide a better description of your problem.

Mar 16, 2016
america
Kioshk you are the one that said to ignore a hole in the engine lol. I felt I had to state the obvious since you seemed to have ignored it. My question was not whether I had a hole or not, it was how to fix a hole. Sounding horrible and having little power has nothing to do with fixing the hole, so I didn't mention it until you questioned whether the hole was a problem. I assumed that everyone would agree that it was but i was obviously wrong. I apologize for the poor picture quality; I don't have a camera.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Kioshk you are the one that said to ignore a hole in the engine lol. I felt I had to state the obvious since you seemed to have ignored it. My question was not whether I had a hole or not, it was how to fix a hole. Sounding horrible and having little power has nothing to do with fixing the hole, so I didn't mention it until you questioned whether the hole was a problem. I assumed that everyone would agree that it was but i was obviously wrong. I apologize for the poor picture quality; I don't have a camera.
SMH

Good luck!

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
It does go all the way through. It now makes a very loud flapping noise like the head gasket isnt tightened down all the way (which it is, i checked). It just happened, i can feel air on my leg from the hole. It isn't a casting error else it would have always made this noise and blown air out the hole, which it hasn't.
If your head gasket is blown out tightening the head will do nothing.
Take the head off to check the gasket.

A hole as shown in your pic would have to be 3/8" deep to go all
the way into your intake port although it looks to line up with the
stud hole.

I would think that a hole in the intake would suck and not blow?

Show me a pic of a piece of wire going from the outside and into
your intake port.

Last edited:

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Yes, jb weld should be an easy fix. It can withstand a constant temp of 500 degrees F. and up to 600 short term.

If you don't have any handy, you could bung in some fishing weight lead. 620 degrees F melting point