accidently ran without air filter. WOW! big difference, velocity stack ?? Jet size ??

GoldenMotor.com

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
after replacing the cable on my RT carb, I took it out for a run and had forgotten to put the air filter back on. it ran amazingly well. Does this mean my jet is too big ? I've been bouncing between a 70 and a 75 jet. throttle response with the 75 is very good but it's 4-stroking at WOT. However, without the air filter, it went balls out all the way to WOT.

But, i think the 70 jet also 4-stroked at WOT. with the air filter.

I'm tempted to replace the air filter with a velocity stack.

any thoughts ???

cheers

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Re: accidently ran without air filter. WOW! big difference, velocity stack ?? Jet siz

I agree on replacing the air filter since some of these filters are a bit more restrictive than they look, but if you can see that much of a performance gain and overall improvement I would switch to a filter that's drastically less restrictive or go with a V stack and use a piece of nylon stocking stretched over the inlet for filtering.
That's what a lot of the old cafe racers would do, then just carry an extra nylon stocking in case the one in use got a tear in it.
We also used those rain socks from outerwear as air filters on the Buell blasts and some sportsters since it was about the next best thing to not running a filter at all. We just stretched it over the end of a V stack and secure it with either a zip tie or elastic strap etc...

abefroman

Sep 13, 2013
new orleans
Re: accidently ran without air filter. WOW! big difference, velocity stack ?? Jet siz

sounds good. but do you know where I can get a velocity stack for the RT carb? the air filter i have on it is brand new, but obviously very restrictive. Guess I'll have to go to the bar to pick up some loose women and steal their nylon stockings. That shouldn't be a problem.... I live in New Orleans. cheers

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA

sounds like a good time to remember that the first place that air goes is the bottom end & particulate matter tends to stay there

Aug 17, 2011
Springfield IL.

In an ideal world, a engine will run better without a restriction such as air filter.

However, the filter does serve a purpose!

It SHOULD run a little better without a filter!

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas

A good filter will be invisible to the engine, meaning the engine will run the same with or without the filter installed. If performance drops with the filter installed it's too small, too restrictive, or both.

There ARE filters out there that can both filter the air really well and let in as much as the engine can pull in at the same time, but you won't find them in China.

Cafe racers have been using nylons stretched over their velocity stacks secured with rubber bands for decades without any problems, but as time goes by even things like this can be improved upon and several years back a company called Outerwears started making rain socks for motorcycle air filters to keep them from ingesting too much water when caught out in the rain while using a large ram air filter sticking off the side of the engine. these things are coated with a hydrophobic coating so the water can't stay on the sock and sheds off before it can go thru it, but what's even better is that they add no restriction to the induction system. Some of us realized this as well as perfectly clean filters when checked, so what did we do?... That's right.... we took out the filter and ran the bike with just the rain socks we purchased, we bought the material and stretched it over large velocity stacks and get the best of both worlds, spotless clean engines and carbs and no restriction. The Outerweras material does a great job keeping the nasties out since it filters down to .005" (yup, better than nylons, and most these restrictive stock foam or felt filter elements) but it still lets in all the air. I started using this on my Buell, then on my Harley about 5 years ago after seeing most the forum members in the Buell forum were using these, I read up on the stuff, then decided to give it a shot and I'm glad I did, 5 years later the inside of the carb and intakes still look new but there's almost zero intake restriction at the same time.

Just in case anyone is interested, here's their link explaining how these work, and they don't just make filter socks, they make all kinds of covers to protect your favorite toy from the elements like dust and mud etc... http://www.outerwears.com/page.asp?region=17

t6R

Mar 31, 2014
Connecticut

Can someone link me one of the rain socks? I'd love to run a vstack instead of fighting with my filter.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.

Ayup if the engine cannot breath there is a lack of power ''every time''

I cringe every time somebody comes up with the cutest looking filter ever that defeats the purpose of this said harmony.

Women’s nylon stockings work awesome in a pinch. Just remember the tag goes in the front.

MacZulu

Jul 3, 2015
Vancouver

yo that's a great tip Dave, and nice find Slogger on the material. glad the op put this up, never know what tips come out

LukeG

Sep 17, 2014
PA

Great thread! I've been having this exact same thing happen - without the filter on my RT carb, the motor runs perfectly....with the filter, it bogs down pretty much everywhere.

I saw the post above with links to a V-stack and the Outerwear filter, but does that work for an RT carb? The type of carb that I have has a conical filter with a rubber ring that clamps down on the metal of the carburetor.

It's this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Signswise-Car...1448741491&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=rt+carb+80cc

What's the best solution to get higher airflow for this type of carb?

Dec 12, 2015
Illinois

The air filter element that came with my Stinger motor was so open-pored, you could see through it. I replaced it with a piece of foam I had. It was the right thickness, oiled it, squeezed out the excess, and it was piece of mind knowing no crud was going to get to my piston!