I'm New, please be nice.

GoldenMotor.com

digboy78

Sep 6, 2014
St Louis
I am new to the motorized bicycle concept, and I will begin planning my friction bike build from a repurpoused weedeater engine and a mid 90's Mongoose mountain bike. I was wondering if anyone had any general pointers or could point me in the direction of a thread that deals with general info for the beginner. I have searched the forum and have seen great bits of info in various threads, just wondering if this kind of thing has been centralized? one question I have...what is the best way to disengage the engine from the tire?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
We're always nice here. :)
Welcome to the forum. We can probably give you specific infornation if we know what bike and what engine you're planning to use but there is a world of information in our 'Search' area as well. I typed in 'friction drive' and got this result> http://www.google.com/cse?cx=partne...j15#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=Friction drive&gsc.page=1

You can start there but we're always here to help with specific questions too.

Good luck, have fun and show us what you come up with.

Tom

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Nah nuh nah, nah nuh nah, nah nuh nah, nah nuh nah..... niceness! Niceness!

Is that nice enough? Welcome to the forum (^)

It's nice you could join us!

.wee.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Digboy, welcome. (LOL Xmon. 2 howdies, no waiting)

As already pointed out, lots of information on FDs (friction drives) around. Some amazing stuff.

Hope you enjoy here. Some really great folks and the one real rule is be nice (and don't curse) Just kinda cool.

Any way, welcome again and please ride safe.

digboy78

Sep 6, 2014
St Louis
Every time I read "howdy" I say it to myself in a Minnie Pearl voice

Thank you everyone, I will post pictures of what I have to start with, but the motor may change, as the one I have doesn't seem to be working. Unfortunately my experience with small engines is not that expansive, so I may have to break down and pick up a working one off of craigslist.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Many times, you'll find the 'problem' bikes on CL (not always, just be careful). Maniac57 hails from STL and sells an occassional MB --- might hit him up.

By the way, I've been compared to many people -- though this is the first for Minnie Pearl!! :D

How-Deeeeee!!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL @ Minnie Pearl and group hug.
Took me a minute to remember the name and the "How-deee"

Feel like we are supposed to hold hands and sing Kum-by-ya or some thing But I don't know the words.

(George Carlin voice in my head is saying the words to kumbyya are pretty much, kumbyya, snork)

You folks are too funny

Last edited: