Hey everyone :) From NJ

GoldenMotor.com

LaFuriaRoja01

Jul 3, 2014
Keyport, NJ
Hey guys! I've been wanting to build one of these bikes for a pretty long time, but only recently have I had the money and bike to pursue the project (I found a nice Huffy at a yard sale for $20). Got a 66cc/80cc kit with a 415 chain for $137, with absolutely zero experience working on bicycles I had it finished within a day.. And that was after having two screws in the motor seize and strip, and having the clutch stuck on me (big thanks to BikeBerry for a walkthrough on how to fix it).

Once it was all done, I drove it fine for a day until the master link popped off.. Whatever, after a day of shopping around I got another few links. But then I ran into another issue, which from a few quick looks around I see a lot of people having: The chain keeps popping off. I spent a good 4-5 hours yesterday aligning the sprocket and rear wheel (a little hard since the chain is very tight as is), before finding that putting a lot of tension on the chain was the only way to keep it on. Despite this, after a several-mile ride last night, the chain popped off again and left me to walk home carrying the seized rear wheel (sucks, I know).

Hoping I can get this issue fixed soon so I can participate more actively! I have a lot of automotive experience and love modding (I have an '01 turbo Eclipse with an Evo head swap :D ) so this feels like an awesome outlet to have fun with without breaking the bank. Now I'm off to do some research, wish me luck!

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, sometimes the teeth on the sprockets are kinda rough and ride up on the chain. I broke a couple of the kit chains till I switched to a #41 chain, I get it from tractor supply in ten foot lengths. They also have three packs of master links. Since 415 is a order only local the switch was the answer for me. I've been running the same chain on my op cruiser for three years.

Big-H

Sep 23, 2013
NJ
Hey welcome to the forum. As Greg58 said, #41 chain will do it. That's what I switched to and it worked perfectly. Happy building and riding!

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
Yep a 415 chain is for motorcycles and is simply overkill on a MB. Your bike looks good.
I run a 41 with a rear sprocket adaptor. The 41 still seems like a lot of extra weight spinning around so I'm going to switch to a regular bicycle chain.
Anyway I have mad skills, a machine shop and a website. I am here to serve so if there is anything I can do for you let me know. :-||

http://www.bikebobber.com