I would SOOOO buy this...

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
That motorcycle is awesome!! I have the day off work, Im tempted to make a run down to Indy! Seriously though, if you live near that bike, it would be irresponsible NOT to buy it, lol
I wholeheartedly agree with you. An old Teutonic bike this durable and venerable DESERVES to be owned by a persnickety, anal-retentive, mechanically-minded German/American like myself. Jawöhl!

Now, all we need is a cunning plan. 'Cause I'm kinda low on cash at present.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I don't know if the seller was clueless or not but I do know he said he sold to the first person. I was too late at 9:04 am.

Such a deal.
Pooh. Well, I saw that coming. I hope the new owner knows to set up the mix right, or it'll do nothing but oil the plug.
There's a lucky new bike owner out there. And although I wish it were me, I really do wish him well. He'll have new secrets to learn, maybe new tools to buy, and probably quite a few years to make some enjoyable memories with a bike that seems to have a good number of years left in her.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I want to think it went to a good home too but it wouldn't surprise me to see it back on fleabay for 6 to 8K in a couple of days. All depends on the person who got it and his intentions.

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I want to think it went to a good home too but it wouldn't surprise me to see it back on fleabay for 6 to 8K in a couple of days. All depends on the person who got it and his intentions.

Tom
Tom, when you're right, you're right. Maybe not Ebay - Craigslist instead. But it's back. Still can't afford it probably (though I didn't see a specific price this time). But I'm thinking this is the same one, if the paint chips along the fenders are about the same. Check it out:

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mcy/4128409931.html

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I knew it! Darn it! I so wanted to see it go to someone who could appreciate what he/she had. I didn't call the number because I'm sure it's gone.
Thanks for the update, Allen. There's no doubt in my mind it is the same bike.

Tom

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
I guess the chances of two similar Zundapps coming up for sale so close together would be pretty darn slim. What kind of a souless Neanderthal would buy a bike like that one just to try to sell it on for cash. A bike like that you keep forever and take down into the tomb with you when you're dead.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I guess the chances of two similar Zundapps coming up for sale so close together would be pretty darn slim. What kind of a souless Neanderthal would buy a bike like that one just to try to sell it on for cash. A bike like that you keep forever and take down into the tomb with you when you're dead.
LOL, my thoughts exactly. I'd want to be buried straddling that puppy :)

Tom

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The original asking price that the first buyer posted was $1500. Somehow, I'm kinda doubting this guy here is asking the same, let alone lower.

But you know: I'd bet anything he couldn't get it started. :)
And I'd bet anything that I could. Out of shear necessity, I've kept old Puch & Sachs mopeds running when I knew I might have to be working at a post that was nowhere near a bus stop. I admit to using a Dremel to make a new linkage. I even know a guy back in Cleveland who could scare up new points for this bike. (Well, maybe not "new", but at least reconditioned.)

It really NEEDS to go to a guy who will get it running and ride it. If not me, than here's hoping it'll be another old gearhead who knows a solid bike when he sees it.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The buyer evidently had the soul of a stock broker: buy low, sell high. He probably also considered he could get more for it if he could get it running in the meanwhile. So he took the risk and parted with the cash. But I've noticed the new advertisement makes no specific mention of it "running". What new price he will ask, and how he will justify it, is currently unknown but I feel strongly that it still could be more than what he bought it for.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
The buyer evidently had the soul of a stock broker: buy low, sell high. He probably also considered he could get more for it if he could get it running in the meanwhile. So he took the risk and parted with the cash. But I've noticed the new advertisement makes no specific mention of it "running". What new price he will ask, and how he will justify it, is currently unknown but I feel strongly that it still could be more than what he bought it for.

Must be an idiot if he couldn't get it running..... grrr, mutter, mutter..... (community safety warning: Intrepid Wheelwoman is feeling very annoyed)

Geezer

May 2, 2011
Illinois
It's the same bike. He's done something to the gas tank (sanded and or shot primer) since the first pix but the chips on the fender are the same. This guy had it listed on ebay last week for $2999 or best offer and I'm really surprised it didn't sell... I almost offered him $2000 but I have way too many unfinished projects around here as it is. No doubt in my mind that I will kick myself for not trying to picking it up anyway.

You should get ahold of him Allen, I really don't think $2500-$3000 is too high of a price for it.

Hang in there IW, we don't know if he couldn't get it running or not... we don't know if he even tried... nothing wrong with someone trying to double their money, specially seeing as how he got it so cheep.
I've got a feeling it will end up in good hands.

Last edited:

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
You make good points, Geezer. Even $3000 would not be too high, and more could be justified if he got it running. I'm only lamenting the fact that, at present, I'm so strapped that trying to scare up even $1500 would be next to impossible. The higher the price goes, the further out-of-reach the bike becomes. But it is true that the seller is right to ask 2500 to 3000 for it.

And, Intrepid Wheelwoman, you too have a good point: it does not take much to get an old German two-stroke running. Just a bit of mechanical know-how and some tinkering is all you need most of the time. He would need to be radically uneducated, mechanically, to not get it running.

Last edited:

Pluto

Sep 3, 2013
Chicago
I called and a Lady answered. She still has it and I my go look at it in the morning. She wants more than she paid but sounded reasonable. We will see after I take a look.

I may have lots of questions for you guys next week. LOL