Finally broke down and bought a SkyHawk from gasbike

GoldenMotor.com

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I won't quite close this post yet until I've gone thru the engine
Pull the jug etc. then I'll start a build post separately.

But I want it clearly understood, gas bike gave me good customer support
in getting this, emailed me every time I sent them one within a couple hours,
and sent me the kit just as it came off the boat, in unopened condition!
and in good time.
beyond this I can find no fault with Gasbike based on MY experiences.
and will not and cannot blame anything about the actual kit on them
5 stars
Ron R

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
http://myworld.ebay.com/imotorpartsusa?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
on a side note I found some unusual customer service!
bought A petcock for another build using a whizzer tank.
bought it monday and the man called me at home today (THURSDAY)
and apologized for not being able to fulfill my order, he said he would
immediately give me a full refund and the next ones he gets off the slow boat
he will send me one for free, and yes I mentioned that he sold it to me without
having the stock on hand and no I wasn't happy about that, but his honesty
and integrity has earned him a future customer, AND I MEANT IT!!!

The point being he came to me and said I scr** up and I'm sorry
Standing tall counts for something in my book! and over a petcock no less
THUMBS UP!!!!!!!!!!! Sad thing is looking at his page he pulled all items
maybe he's going out of business, I hope not.
Update
2 days after I get refund they are listing this item again for $10 more
HMMM, jokes on him I can still leave feedback
one I purchased
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=370713581759&view=all&tid=479987584024
today found this listing
http://www.ebay.com/itm/370713581759?item=370713581759&frommaketrack=true&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Just out of curiosity why are you going through E-bay to buy from Nationwide Access (kings, gasbike)?
There is a side ad direct to them with a kudo ID for this web site.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Re: Finally broke down and bought a SkyHawk from gasbike gasket question

Question about gaskets
I noticed on tear down the piston is domed
and sticks up almost 1/8 of an inch into the top
if I do any milling for flatness should I
double up on base gasket or head gasket or both?

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
Update
After taking the top section apart everything looks great
however with these I can tell that you can't 180 degree the jug
as the intake port and exhaust ports are no longer on same level
the intake is about an inch or more lower than the exhaust port

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Sounds like you want to 'improve' this new engine to death hehehe ;-}

You can't rotate the jug but you can rotate the head 180 so the plug points forward, I do that on most every build as I re-wire my CDI's direct to the magneto with better wire and place it up high on the front bar away from all the heat.

Rock on Desert Rat.

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
It's gonna look sweet when I'm done

Right now I just finished file-ing the fins making everything nice and smooth
and I'm gonna leave it stock but when I looked in the ports there was a good
1/8 inch bur on each side so needle file away, and tape and prime outside
high temp auto black jug and top only, have to bake them when done to cure hope 500 degrees doesn't cause any warpage
then to bed and up all night again
ain't I a Desert Rat:)

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
These little Chinee engines believe it or not are hemi engines with the same similar design as Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth Hemispherical heads & and pistons.

I would use two copper coated base gaskets if necessary but first put the cylinder back on the engine case without the head, turn the engine over (using only one base gasket) and see where the outside of the piston comes to at the top of the cylinder this will determine the next step with the gaskets.

Use Alan bolts to replace the stock head bolts and blow out all the threaded holes so no metal shavings inter fear with the threads when final re-assembly takes place, this would probably be a good time to make a few mods or think about a custom piston from CR Machine or high compression head along with either a Dellorto carb or RT carb from Dax (1/2 the price of Dellorto same thing, same quality) the piston and carb would be yer best bet if you can't afford the head, big difference in performance for just a little extra cost and little modification.

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
These believe it or not ? these little Chinee engines are hemi engines with the same design as Dodge, Chrysler, Plymouth Hemispherical heads & and pistons.

I would use two copper coated base gaskets if necessary but first put the cylinder back on the engine case without the head, turn the engine over (using only one base gasket) and see where the outside of the piston comes to on the cylinder this will determine the next step with the gaskets.

Use Alan bolts to replace the stock head bolts and blow out all the threaded holes so no metal shavings inter fear with the threads when final re-assembly takes place, this would probably be a good time to make a few mods or think about a custom piston from CR Machine or high compression head along with either a Dellorto carb or RT carb from Dax (1/2 the price of Dellorto same thing, same quality) the pisto and carb would be yer best bet if you can't afford the head, big difference in performance for just a little extra cost and little modification.
That I did and the OD of the piston is just below the champher
it's the dead center extending up that has me worried about hitting the plug

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Take the piston off the Con Rod and place it directly on the head with the spark plug in the head, if you have some interior house paint dab just a dot on the plug , if there are any issues with the plug hitting the piston you'll know by the paint dot it will leave, you can always use another spark plug washer too make sure you use a bhs7 plug and not the crappy one sent with the kit.
Don't worry about the dot on the piston from the paint, most interior paint is water base latex and will wipe right off with no damage

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
this would probably be a good time to make a few mods or think about a custom piston from CR Machine or high compression head along with either a Dellorto carb or RT carb from Dax, the piston and carb would be yer best bet if you can't afford the head, big difference in performance for just a little extra cost and little modification.
I completely disagree with that performance suggestion truckd.

The CNS3 carbs that come with new Skyhawk kits are perfect for their 66cc engines, and replace the perfectly good new piston and head?

In my experience you can mill and hillbilly tiny crap until the cows come home for hundreds of dollars and hours of time but it won't be better than an hour to properly fit a SBP expansion chamber for $80 and using an NGK BPR(7 or 6)HIX Iridium spark plug, and since the plug is longer reducing cylinder volume anyway it's like having a higher compression head mod and only $8 more but you can't use one if you mill the head or any of that other stuff as the longer plug will hit the piston.

Sorry for the rant guys but having catered to customer wishes using or doing most things mentioned, unless you just want to play with your motor for awhile to learn it or whatever I have never found a darn thing that gave an engine more stable useable constant power after those two simple things were used on a newer Skyhawk kit out of the box.

Heck, if you can build and ride one like that through breakin and then do something else to the motor you can actually feel please let me know!

My point is with those 2 simple things you turn a 2.75HP into an over 3HP power plant without dicking with the insides of the engine risking damage and it is a powerful power plant!

If you want to go faster or quicker than that gives you just put a shift kit on for heavens sake, or don't and just throw a boatload of money and time to run an engine to the meltdown stage for your direct drive is my advice.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The suggestions were more so for a better, dependable, smother running engine not so much for performance to do a 1000MPH in a one block distance, I find that a LITTLE! extra money now saves a big headache later and with every thing Port Matched and a good carb you can get that, exhaust pipes play a big part in Performance as well even if your not going for the SPEED THING !

This ain't my first Rodeo building bikes either Motorized or peddlers I've got a few under my belt and one I built for a friend that just clocked 1,800 miles, has never had one problem with it, he bought the engine kit off E-bay (brand un known ?) and we immediately tore it down cleaned it up and did the mods I suggested for durability purposes only, he is a big guy 6'4" and 220lbs (we did put a bigger seat on the bike too LOL!) and since we knew that high performance speeds were never going to be accomplished with a Chinee 2-poker, durability is what we built the bike for.

Face it these little engines are not made perfect and any mod minor or major is a plus for these engines and rider, if you intend to ride the bike hard then build it for that purpose, if you want a smooth running bike then build it with that in mind, whatever you want ? build the bike to suite your needs and just a <SUGGESTION> " Do it right the first time"

KC I am glad that we can at least agree on a good plug and had it not been for this forum, the good people on it and every ones advice,experience & knowledge from time to time, I sure would have been lost a couple of times, now I'm looking for a simple light that will fit into a 3 1/8" x 3 1/2" semi oval circle for my current build "Black Jack", KC do you have any Idea's or suggestions about accomplishing that ?

Last edited:

Desert Rat

Jul 30, 2012
Apache Junctoin Az
I completely disagree with that performance suggestion truckd.

The CNS3 carbs that come with new Skyhawk kits are perfect for their 66cc engines, and replace the perfectly good new piston and head?

In my experience you can mill and hillbilly tiny crap until the cows come home for hundreds of dollars and hours of time but it won't be better than an hour to properly fit a SBP expansion chamber for $80 and using an NGK BPR(7 or 6)HIX Iridium spark plug, and since the plug is longer reducing cylinder volume anyway it's like having a higher compression head mod and only $8 more but you can't use one if you mill the head or any of that other stuff as the longer plug will hit the piston.

Sorry for the rant guys but having catered to customer wishes using or doing most things mentioned, unless you just want to play with your motor for awhile to learn it or whatever I have never found a darn thing that gave an engine more stable useable constant power after those two simple things were used on a newer Skyhawk kit out of the box.

Heck, if you can build and ride one like that through breakin and then do something else to the motor you can actually feel please let me know!

My point is with those 2 simple things you turn a 2.75HP into an over 3HP power plant without dicking with the insides of the engine risking damage and it is a powerful power plant!

If you want to go faster or quicker than that gives you just put a shift kit on for heavens sake, or don't and just throw a boatload of money and time to run an engine to the meltdown stage for your direct drive is my advice.
I agree 100% KC I am not going to mod mod mod
my last engine I'm at over 8000 miles un modded
I just want 25 mph and to be able to climb the 8-10% grades, I'm 150lbs
last summer I rode up to canyon lake got to the viewpoint
and a head gasket blew so it was an 18 mile ride home
fortunately it was mostly down hill LOL

and what I see most people here do hahahaha
here's a quarter I want a dollar back LOL :)

just because they are HT's doesn't mean they can't
be dependable!!!!

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I like that road to canyon lake,,,up n down and very windy (tight curves) (^),,,
the road surface sucks tho,,,,all washboarded, bounced my feet off the pedals a few times last time I rode it ;)

PS,,,the grandkids like to spend the day at the campground/marina,,,I go for the curves !!! laff

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Now I'm looking for a simple light that will fit into a 3 1/8" x 3 1/2" semi oval circle for my current build "Black Jack", KC do you have any Idea's or suggestions about accomplishing that ?
Do you mean like a bullet light housing?

This is a pretty small light that will fit but the problem is you have to be able to get to the button on the back to turn it on and change modes and you can't wire around it, it is part of the actual control circuit.
http://www.amazon.com/CREE-Bicycle-Headlight-Files-Lumens/dp/B006Y1FK18

Canyon lake, man that makes me miss my boat, cursing it's narrow towering vertical cliffs at water level is really pretty stunning.