New member from Sacramento

GoldenMotor.com

cjlane

Mar 18, 2013
sacramento, ca
Hi everyone,

New member here from Sacramento. I have wanted to build one of these for a long time and now am finally taking the plunge!!!

looking forward to learning from all of you.

-Cameron

pikeman1

Dec 3, 2012
Montana
One kit I found that isn't too bad is a Flaming Horse that I bought by mistake thinking it was a Flying Horse. Most of these two stroke kits seem pretty much the same. I have a suspicion that all the motors may be mass produced at one place in China, then sent to different companies who add the parts and send them out. Half of one, six dozen of the other. Here are some things I learned the hard way.
1 Make sure you have a bike that has wide enough pedals to clear the motor.
2 Make sure muffler is tight. Crappy studs tend to strip out. You can rethread stud holes with a slightly wider dye or tap or whatever they are, and put a damn bolt in like it should be.
3 Tighten head acorn bolts.
4 Make sure the stupid chain tensioner is right and lines up with the sprocket. It is a good idea to use rubber inner tubing in the sliding bolt so it doesn't slip.
5 Use thread lock and make sure all bolts are tight, but don't over tighten muffler stud bolts or or crappy muffler studs will strip out. Use lock tight on muffler studs.
6 The sprocket can be a pain. Put center bolts through center holes in metal tri brackets first. Then put all bolts in and tighten like a car tire.
7 Make sure the throttle thingamajig is all the way seated in the throttle pin. Otherwise, you will start the bike and it will go full bore, and you will have no throttle.
8 Make sure the stupid little bolt thingy on the end of the clutch cable is very tight, otherwise the stupid bolt thingy will slide off and go flying and could be lost forever, and you will have no clutch.
9 Make SURE to mix rich at first, and only ride short distances not going full throttle.
Good luck.zpt

pikeman1

Dec 3, 2012
Montana
I almost forgot, most of these kit companies will not ship kits to California due to their emission laws. That is strange, because I can't find where they're not legal in California. Also, in CA you need a drivers license and need to pass a course to get a motorcycle endorsement according to the law on this link. One guy on this forum said they made him get it licensed, but it doesn't say that in this link which has the law. Hope it works out.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/motors.html

cjlane

Mar 18, 2013
sacramento, ca
I was looking at 4 stroke kits. seems those are more easily shipped to california.

I was looking at the 49cc 4G T Belt Drive Complete Gas Powered Engine Kit from bicycle-engines.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
I was looking at 4 stroke kits. seems those are more easily shipped to california.

I was looking at the 49cc 4G T Belt Drive Complete Gas Powered Engine Kit from bicycle-engines.
That's a very good choice that you will be happy with.
It has the best gearbox even though it still needs to have the oilite bushing
replaced or do the shaft ball bearing mod.

bicycle-engines has the best version of that kit and they are a good company to deal with.

Last edited:

Wild Bill

Jan 29, 2013
Camarillo So. Cal.
I almost forgot, most of these kit companies will not ship kits to California due to their emission laws. That is strange, because I can't find where they're not legal in California. Also, in CA you need a drivers license and need to pass a course to get a motorcycle endorsement according to the law on this link. One guy on this forum said they made him get it licensed, but it doesn't say that in this link which has the law. Hope it works out.
http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/motors.html

At the link it does say just below the motorized scooter that you do need an M1 or M2 licence. In Ca you do need an M1 or M2, sad but true, but I have heard some say that some cops say they dont care. Or you can do what Im gonna do and just get the motorcycle learners permit so you dont have to take the riding test in which case you need a motorcycle to take that test, they wont let you take it on a motor bicycle.

Last edited:

cjlane

Mar 18, 2013
sacramento, ca
At the link it does say just below the motorized scooter that you do need an M1 or M2 licence. In Ca you do need an M1 or M2, sad but true, but I have heard some say that some cops say they dont care. Or you can do what Im gonna do and just get the motorcycle learners permit so you dont have to take the riding test in which case you need a motorcycle to take that test, they wont let you take it on a motor bicycle.
Haha thats a good Idea. Yeah I wasnt planning on getting a motorcycle.