help, chain, sprocket

GoldenMotor.com

Rogwillsie

Oct 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
I wasn't sure which way the back sprocket was supposed to go but reversed it anyway from the way I had it. Put it so the sprocket teeth were closer to the spokes (it is dished). Also, attached the chain before putting the wheel back on, thinking I could put tension on the chain that way. It was a struggle but I got it together and tested it in suspension. Put the chain guard on. It seemed to work OK so I took it down and went for a test run. It worked like a charm. I didn't break any speed records as the chain seems a bit loose. Rather than taking everything apart again I think I'll put the tensioner back on much as I would rather do without it. Anyway, yippee, I'm back on the road again. Thanks for all the support from you guys.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
I had to face off (on the lathe) both sides of front sprocket teeth to fit bicycle chain but the pitch is the same. That's part of the chain problem w/ many of these kits the rear sprocket is 1/8" thick and the front is 3/16", dumb,dumb,dumb. Glad to see you got it fixed though, Roger!

Last edited:

Rogwillsie

Oct 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
For my loose chain, I tried the tensioner and hated it, so added some more spacers to the studs in the rear motor mount (used u shaped copper wire so I didn't have to remove the nuts completely). Now the chain tension seems about right without the tensioner. Went for a long ride and it works well.