Hello from the San Fernando Valley

GoldenMotor.com

LAWNMOWERMAN556

Dec 23, 2012
San fernando California
Hello I am new to the forum and would like to Introduce myself.I live in San Fernando and I would like to build a motorized bicycle.I would like to build it on a schwinn panther frame if I could find a nice one for a good price.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Congratulations and welcome LawnMowerMan to the forum glad you joined us. You have found and joined where the motorized bicycle fanatics congregate.

Seen a few Panthers motorized they sure are a nice bike, do you plan on going four, two stroke or electric? Hope you share your build with us as you go along.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome.
You've found the right place to come for any help or advice you might need with your project.

Have fun, ride safe.

Tom

LAWNMOWERMAN556

Dec 23, 2012
San fernando California
I would like to thank everyone for the warm welcome!Iwill share my build.It may be slow going because of cash being tight and I do not know where to get the frame yet.I have not chosen a motor for it yet I would like to learn more about what is out there first.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
LMM556,
Welcome to the forum. I pant pant pant for panthers! Great frame, well made and good looking, too. Look on ebay. I have a 1950 with a four stroke and sidecar. Panther was just one model that used the same straight bar frame. We tend to call all of them Panthers,it being a sexy name and all, but as soon as you say "panther" the price goes up. So, look for Schwinn frame or narrow it to 'vintage'. You might also want to just look around at vintage bicycle frames and you may find something very similar to the Schwinn straight bar that you like. There were lots of them back when. Good luck and share your build as you go. We like pictures! Judging by your name here, you know your way around small engines. That's good.
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Welcome to the forum. Like Silverbear said I think the Panthers are the best frames as well. Im working on one now. Most strait bar schwinns are the same dimensions for the most part. Plus they look really nice with a tank. The frames are getting harder to come by. You can look on ebay but expect to pay about 200 clams. You guys have a big ol swapnout on long beach right? Thats where id try the swap meets. Let me know us know if you got any questions

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
LMM556,
Schwinn used that same frame over a couple of decades, maybe longer than that. Motorbike was one... I can't remember. Some were high dollar fancy ones, like the Panther and Motorbike and others were more basic with different paint decals and doodahs. Just look under Schwinn frames and memorize what the straight bar frame looks like. Probably the listing won't say what it is because the seller doesn't know.
Other makes had similar frame designs, but a little different. Elgin, Rollfast, Hiawatha. Colson, Monark, Hawthorne... are some that come to mind. I would just look under vintage bicycle frames and see what strikes you as good looking. If the head-badge is missing then the seller may not know what make it is. You could also look under pre-war bicycle frames. Unless you are settled on a straight bar (Panther) frame, I'd just look to see what strikes me as a good looking frame, similar to the Panther. You'll find something.
SB

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Good score and a really good price for a Panther frame, they usually go around 160 to 180 on eBay. It's a ballooner too, not a middleweight. Have you decieided on a 4 or 2 stroke.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Man I'd love to take a cruise up to this old take out taco shop by the car dealership in S.F wish I could remember the name. We used to go take out every Saturday when I was driving a tow truck out there.

LAWNMOWERMAN556

Dec 23, 2012
San fernando California
Valley group rides sound cool! You guys use to have them before?Turkman I will PM you.As for the motor I have not decided yet.Right now I am just looking for the parts to make it a bike first. I would like to get a locking springer fork next.If you guy know anything about the schwinn locking springer forks please let me know I would like to learn about them before I buy one so that I get the right one and a good one.Thanks for you help and patients!!

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Look down your head tube and see if there is a little stud for the springer lock to work. The forks can get pricey also a nice set will set you back twice what you paid for the frame. But you are over where bikes don't rust and you may get lucky.

Last edited:

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
It didn't show up here but I got it in the mail, yeah that's it. If you hit the black and white paint with a white pinstripe separating them it will make that paint job really stand out.