Cops, Popo, and the "Fuzz"

GoldenMotor.com

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Where can I get a clear-cut and reader friendly set of legal rules for my bike? I'm in Harrisonburg, Virginia and have the basic 49cc china kit on my mountain bike. I've been getting a lot of looks from cops when riding to class.

Also, what do you all do when you encounter a police officer? I am by no means trying to encourage illegal activity, I'm just curious. Do you all try to run if one of them flips his lights on at you? Do you just take it like a man and hope he doesn't give you any trouble?

I, myself, am a giant chicken and would probably just trying to impress the cop by telling him all about how I put the bike together and hope he lets me off (assuming that it's illegal in the first place, hence reasoning for my first question)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yours way is the better way, never try to run.

Call up the local BMV or DMV and ask them. Also, do a bit of research for your state dept. of transportation online...there is a website with all your answers

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
Try to run? Can you out run a police cruiser with your bike?

Ride safely, wear a helmet stay to the side of the road and keep the speed reasonable around the police and 9 times out of 10, you will be left alone.

cachehiker

Jul 9, 2008
Hyde Park / Logan, UT
Always stop. Running may well get you more than a Class C misdemeanor.

Regardless of whether you can quote from it, just knowing what section of the traffic code you're subject to impresses them. I was only ever questioned once though. In Utah, even if you're on a bicycle, you are required to complete a right hand turn if you're in the right hand turn lane. I was going straight through an intersection and the officer originally pulled me over for impeding traffic without realizing I was actually conforming to Utah Traffic Code Section 41, Subsection 1100.

FWIW, it's also against the traffic code to ride with no hands but they've never given me any grief about that.

Last edited:

cartisdm

Oct 8, 2008
Harrisonburg, VA
Try to run? Can you out run a police cruiser with your bike?
Haha not on flat land but it'd be more than easy to cut through some dirt roads, change directions, and get lost through the woods. Not that I'd try it or anything. My luck it'd do something like break my clutch cable and be screwed....

FWI, it's also against the traffic code to ride with no hands but they've never given me any grief about that.
Can't ride without no hands, yet required by law to use arm signals when turning.....sounds like a catch-22 to me!!! Haha:D

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I carry a printout of that portion of the law that covers motor assisted bicycles (ARS title 25, in Arizona) in my rack pack in a ziplock bag. I have been followed by law men occasionally, but never pulled over.

OSCAR383

Jul 22, 2008
WEST FRANKFORT, IL
if you try to run be sure you have some sharpened jacks to throw down behind you before you make a run for it :D then its a felany and destruction of city/police property. and maybe just maybe wreckless endangerment.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
never run, do what your state says to do for legal requirements.

Most just want to ask you about eh bike. The one time I was waved over by a cop flagger (can't wait until the civilians take that over.) he looked the bike over, asked me about, seemed impressed that I had done it myself, awed that I was a 32 year old woman, and told me my light was non conforming. Then he sent me on my way.

Other than that the most I've ever had them do is slow way down and give me a double take, around here for the most part if you have your sticker on the back visible they give you no grief.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
In Mass you have to register your motorized bike as a moped- you pay $40, get a tag that lasts for 2 years of fun and Po po free rides... as long as you follow the rules that is!

you shoudl check you RMV/DMV web site to see i they offer anything like that.

Last edited:

Nomad

Aug 4, 2008
U.S.A.
if you try to run be sure you have some sharpened jacks to throw down behind you before you make a run for it :D then its a felany and destruction of city/police property. and maybe just maybe wreckless endangerment.
I like your thinking rotfl They'll never take me alive..... just kidding of course..(^)

Last edited:

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
TWO WORDS "GHOST PEDAL", TWO MORE WORDS "KILL SWITCH", thoughts on running THREE WORDS "REAL BAD IDEA" Happy Hills & Trails Walter F. GVP