Hello

GoldenMotor.com

1hand

Jan 9, 2010
Medford WI
I don't have a bike yet. I got into machining last winter and converted my basement utility room into a little make shift machine shop. Now thats about done I'm looking for my frist project. I came across this site and looked real interesting.

Matt

Last edited:

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Matt,
Welcome and we're glad you've joined us. A machine shop is not necessary for building a motorized bicycle but there probably isn't a member here who doesn't wish he had one or access to one. We have several professional machinist who frequent these pages and we welcome their advice. Keep us informed of whatever you decide to build and have fun.
Beautiful shop, by the way. Congratulations.
Tom

1hand

Jan 9, 2010
Medford WI
Thanks for the welcome 2door. Though I've only came across this site in the last couple hours, I think I would like a strech frame bike. Maybe a four stroke engine, and maybe design my own belt driven centirfitcal clutch. Don't know much about all this yet, but sure will be doing some reserch on them. I have a bit of a disabilty, I lost my left arm 3 years ago in a rock crushing accident. Hasn't slowed me up too much though, I haven't been able to find the tools I want for my prosthesis so hence the machine tools.

1hand, "AKA Matt"

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Matt,
You'll find a bunch of great people here willing and ready to give you all the help and advice you could possibly ask for in regards to designing and building a bike. There are a good number of 4 stroke guys and a plethora of 2 stroke nuts here who build do-it-yourself as well as kit bikes. Welcome again and we're glad you discovered us. Keep us posted; we'll be watching to see what you come up with.
Tom

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
That's a beautiful shop. All it needs is a project bike and I have a feeling it's going to get one pretty soon. Do you plan to ride it yourself? I was disabled with being crippled when I got into this, first with little friction drive motors. I have GBS, which is much like polio, so my feet and lower legs were very weak. I wanted to ride a bike again to feel the wind in my face, but couldn't pedal very far... so got a motor and then another motor and another.... and now I want to build bikes for others as I'm still having fun building bikes, but can only ride one at a time and want to share the fun. Welcome to the forum.
Silverbear

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Matt, welcome to the forum.Only been here a while myself but everyone makes you feel
welcome and the help is great.

Fantastic work shop. You have the right project to start on. The main problem it seems, is that one is never enough.
Haven't finished the first one and I'm planning the second already.

Steve.

Elmo

Sep 3, 2009
Mississippi
Welcome 1 Hand. Nice shop you have there. I wish I had a shop of anykind, its a pain working outdoors. Out of thee question in your area. Hope you get started on a motor bike soon. This is a very friendly site. I have only been on here a few months.
Elmo

1hand

Jan 9, 2010
Medford WI
Thanks everyone for the kind words. Think I'm going to start off with a cheapy cruzzer bike from wally world and get a basic engine kit and start there. Try that and get a feel for what this is all about. Then we'll get out the machine tools and grinders, welders and come up with a design of our owen. When I say owen, I'm trying to find something my 14yr old son and I could do together. Thats if I can put him away from his X-box.....Lol. I would just like him to see that you can actually build something from scratch with out having to buy it. Use your head a little, trying to come up with something outside the box. Kinda told him my plan here and he and my wife think I'm off my rocker, but this isn't first time they have thought that. Thats how we ended up with a basement full of machine tools..we.

Matt