Trying to go backwards in time

GoldenMotor.com

funbuddy

Jan 1, 2010
sugarland tx
Well, here goes.I am not skilled at websites, chat lingo, and know nothing about any of the new bicycles. I am 57 years old and am thinking about buying a bike to ride for some exercise and to have some fun. When I was a kid, growing up in the country, my main way to get around was with a bike.Most roads were made from "river gravel". I have no interest in fancy pants, or any of the skinny tired bikes that I see people riding these days. I am wondering if anyone could tell me what brands and where to buy a good , old time, high quality bike that I can ride and put a gasoline motor on.There are no hills where I live. Any comments?

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
My 2 cents- get a mountain bike with a suspension fork and add a suspension seat post (make sure the size is correct) plus a real seat ( the seats that are on these bikes are designed for chimpanzees).
The MTB (mount. bike) will have great brakes (something you will really need) and aggressive tires( should help to keep from sliding around on your roads but may throw up some tiny pebbles).
The suspension fork is wonderful for being able to dive off the roadway or just for absorbing potholes better.
Spend a lot of time here, also the guys have posted about gas bikes not being legal in Tx. even though many guys ride them, (check that out) are you on good terms with the local police?