time to get some latex gloves

GoldenMotor.com

Graham

Jan 19, 2009
boston, ma
Has anyone ever gotten sick the day after working on their bike? I mean I wash my hands the best i can after working on it but the oil and grease still stain the skin. Can things such as eating or covering my mouth with my hand to cough cause us to inadvertanly poison myself?

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Having eaten many a sandwich with grease coated fingers, I'd say no.
Mechanics spend their lifetime with grease and oil under their fingernails.
Get er done!

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
Yea I'm one of those that actually taste my motor oil to see if it's time for an oil change and will actually sniff a tailpipe and tell you if it will pass emissions. Antifreeze too I can tell if I got the right mix.
Sometimes though I get a little dizzy but it goes away.

mechanickid

Aug 7, 2008
nh
i was reworking some brakes today and had super penetrating unlocking oil all over my hand for long enough that i started to feel it in my finger joints, kinda scary.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I've heard that about wd-40 as well. It's made with fish oil, not petroleum. It's supposed to help with arthritis, maybe that's what your Gramps had.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Brake fluid is the worst. I got sick after bleeding the front calipers on my hot rod and discovered that I'd splattered brake fluid on the both hood side panels. $1400.00 to have them repainted, let me tell you; I was sick.
Now to be serious. Some people are much more susceptible to the effects of the toxins found in some of the materials we deal with in the garage. If you have sensitive skin or are sensitive to odors then it would not be a bad idea to protect yourself with latex gloves (that is if you're not allergic to latex)
I've known people who could not be around many of the most common things we use, gasoline, oil, lubricants, without a respirator to protect them from the fumes. Take the necessary precautions and read lables if unsure. Be safe, have fun.
Tom

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
Has anyone ever gotten sick the day after working on their bike? I mean I wash my hands the best i can after working on it but the oil and grease still stain the skin. Can things such as eating or covering my mouth with my hand to cough cause us to inadvertanly poison myself?
Not to worry Graham...I promise: you'l be O.K. If you're not used to messin' around with mechanical stuff, it may seem like you're exposing yourself to all kinds of nasties. The really good stuff went away years ago!!! Of what's left, it's never available to the public.

Gloves are a good idea...I have a box full that I use when painting or messin' with epoxy because it takes forever-and-a-day for it to wear off.

Any of you guys remember Gunk Hydro-seal, before it doubled in price and is now 1/10th as effective?...How about the original Tap-Magic?

Jim

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
You're right Tom...everyone should know and do, what is comfortable for them.

I use expensive Agitene from Grainger in my parts washer. I love it, it strips grease and dirt like magic. It has lanolin in it, and it is made for hand use in a parts washer. Some guys hate it...they say it makes thier hands tingle.

It's all a matter of what's comfortable for each individual. There's no rule that says you have to be miserable to enjoy working on mechanical things.

Jim

Last edited:

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Yep, nitrile good, latex bad because it and petroluem don't mix (see warning label on latex condoms if you don't believe me) :)

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
What I don't like about nitriles is they don't offer as much dexterity as latex and the dextaritous ones don't offer much rip resistance. Oh well.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
I notice the newer (read cheap china) Nitrile gloves aren't near as hardy as the gloves from 10 years ago. The old ones would last a whole day. You could eat your sandwich with them on.......laffdance1