2 stroke with pull-start

GoldenMotor.com

Eegore

Nov 11, 2016
US
Hello,

I am having trouble finding a small 2-stroke kit that has a pull-start so I figured I better come to the experts. This will not be going on a bike, and will not be carrying a large load on the chain so the lighter the assembly the better.

All of the kits/engines I find these days are centrifugal start mechanisms.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Eegore

Nov 11, 2016
US
I was hoping they already existed installed so I don't have to fabricate changes to make them interface correctly.

I find it hard to believe any one pull start fits every 50,60,66,80cc engine out there but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the info.

Eegore

Nov 11, 2016
US
It looks like I had to look for 49cc pull starts. Unfortunately the mounting format isn't what I can use so I might have to just take the chance with installing the pull-start and hope it fits.

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
The one I linked to fits both 2 stroke bicycle engine kits. There is a 48cc engine and a 66cc engine. The 80cc is a false measurement of displacement, and should be a 66cc. But yes, it does fit ALL 2 stroke bicycle engines.

Now, if you're looking for a 2 stroke with a pull start for some utility purpose, then why not check out something like a Tanaka engine?

Eegore

Nov 11, 2016
US
Well to be specific this is for a gas powered minigun prop. Cosmetically the 2 stroke looks better as it looks less like a weed-eater engine.

My hope is to create a barrel assembly that spins when the throttle on a mounted handlebar is rotated. I will have to have a shop make a custom exhaust but for the most part I am thinking an engine kit will have most of what I need.

I'd like to keep it around 30lbs but I don't think that will go as these engines look to be about 25lbs as it is.

Jan 24, 2012
letterkenny, ireland
what if you went with a go ped engine with the plastic removed as they can function for a while with out overheating and they come with pull start and they are light enough with trans on them about 5 kg at most

Eegore

Nov 11, 2016
US
Ive not seen a go-ped engine with the plastic removed. I will research it and see if I can find one.

thanks

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
If there isn't going to be much resistance, why not go with a weedeater engine? I have a 15cc 2 stroke weedeater in my garage that is far lighter than a bike engine kit, and it could probably spin a prop minigun barrel assembly just fine.

Eegore

Nov 11, 2016
US
Because it would look like a weed eater engine.

The general concept of this piece is a gas motor used to spin the barrels and the 2-stroke visually has a more traditional engine look. Its a rough balance sometimes between what look best and what's functional, in this case its a weight/style trade off.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Well to be specific this is for a gas powered minigun prop.
Cosmetically the 2 stroke looks better as it looks less like a weed-eater engine.
So you are making a movie prop for a gas powered Gatling gun? That sounds cool.

Eegore

Nov 11, 2016
US
Yeah its kind of a Mad-Max style thing. Its portable (slung) so that's why weight is an issue, and why I need the pull start, so it can be powered up while being held by the user.

I don't know enough about how these work yet, how much load it can handle without throttle etc. but once I find one that holds a pull start I can get started with a inal design.

The Bikeberry engine I got doesn't interface with a pull start so I need to get another.