tightning the top part of chain?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your chain is too long. You need to start by removing two links. Unless you use a half link, you'll need to take out two complete links so you can resuse the master link. It appears from the photo that you have ample drop-out adjustment to acheive good tension.

Ideally you want 1/2" to 3/4" of slack. No more, no less. I'm not a fan of spring tensioners but rely on distance between the drive and driven sprocket and proper chain/sprocket alignment to keep the chain running smooth. If the sprockets are properly aligned and the tension is within those given above you shouldn't have any chain problems.

Tom

Last edited:

stars

Mar 10, 2014
philadelphia
ok i will try to move the wheel back & cut to links down but if i cut the links down i may not be able to connect the master link because i already cut 4 links off.. I let you know if it works thanks for helping

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
welcome to the world of motorized bicycles stars. don't cut the links of instead go by your local bike shop and get a chain removal tool. its always good to have extra links around and that way you can save the ones you remove, when you pick up the chain tool ask the shop to demonstrate how to use, great little tool and easy to use, glad you joined us