Just getting started

GoldenMotor.com

Bing

Oct 7, 2012
Michigan
I've always liked tinkering with stuff and getting back into biking has brought about the desire to build a motorized bicycle. So I recently acquired a 1961 AMF Roadmaster for 20$ for what I figured would be a good starting point.
I'm thinking of doing a homemade springer front and some other frame changes as well.
I've seen but haven't been able to find a source for a kit that drives the crank gear, so that you only have the one chain going to the rear wheel. I'm beginning to think I stumbled onto a custom set up.

Well, here's how the bike sits, basically stock:

Thanks guys for all the good info and ideas!

P.S.
If I'm supposed to use a smaller photo I apologize and will do so in the future.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
So I recently acquired a 1961 AMF Roadmaster for 20$

I've seen but haven't been able to find a source for a kit that drives the crank gear, so that you only have the one chain going to the rear wheel. I'm beginning to think I stumbled onto a custom set up.
That's a good bike to motorize and your pics are fine.

www.SickBikeParts.com sells the shift kit that drives through the bicycle
side chain.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless you plan to change the rear wheel/hub there's really no advantage to installing a shift kit. You currently have a single speed rear hub so the advantages of being able to use the bicycle gears will be lost and the complexity of the shift kits makes adding one redundant in your case. Why are you set on eliminating the engine side drive chain? There are hundreds, thousands of them out there running just fine.

With that said you do have a great foundation for a motorized bike. Keep us posted on your progress and that custom springer you're going to build.

Good luck, have fun and ride safe.

Tom

Bing

Oct 7, 2012
Michigan
Yes, I was on planning on changing the rear and front wheels. I want to run hydraulic disc brakes for optimum stopping power. With the disc being located on the engine drive side I need to run a shift kit. I was thinking of running a 3 or 8 speed internal hub.

Thank you for your point and info regarding the shift kit, and I'll keep you guys posted, its gonna be slow progress though.