Another Hello From Texas, S.P.I.

GoldenMotor.com

watchguy

Nov 21, 2009
S.P.I.
Hi Guys,
My name is Brad and I'm from Canada actually but spending some time in the South Padre Island area of Texas. I've built a bike back home and picked up a bike down here that needed some work and didn't run. (clutch, back wheel shot, throttle, etc.) I have managed to get it running but I think I may need to get another throttle and throttle cable. Will a normal bike brake cable work? and where would be the closest place to get parts from? I heard there is a guy in San Antonio that sells complete bikes, I think that is where this one came from, any idea who he is or where I can get parts? Pic is of the bike back in Canada.

Attachments

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Giver'er Watchguy and welcome to the forum. I used to work for an engineer that was still a Canadian citizen from the Toronto area. He still works here in the Phoenix area.
South Padre sounds like a great place to ride a motor bike.
You can probably get a throttle cable at a place that sells quads or scooters.
Take your old cable with you to ensure a good fit.
If all else fails, you can order a new throttle and cable combo on EBay.

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
you can make a throttle cable out of bike cables by making the end that go in the carb here is a sorry video of how. I'm shorting the cable on the video but you can make the cable by buying a set of cables from Walmart pick out the cable that will fit the throttle twist grip tube. a shifter cable should work good for this. pull the inner cable out of the outer cable decide how long of a cable you want then cut off the excess of the outer cable. lube up the inner cable and insert it back into the outer cable you should have a lot of extra inner cable stick out now follow the video and you will see how to make the end for the throttle. I make all my cables ends
if you run into a snag let me know.
http://motorbicycling.com/f39/norm-shortening-throttle-cable-9010.html

watchguy

Nov 21, 2009
S.P.I.
Awesome guys, thanks for all the kind welcomes and advice. I did manage to pick up some new cables from walmart and filed them down to fit. Also had to take the carb apart as the idle adjustment screw was messing up the barrell and had moved it and damaged it. Sanded and filed it a bit and back to normal now.
And yeah S.P.I. is great for motorized bikes as they have special bike lanes you can ride in.
Aloha from the island y'all.
Brad