Pre War Frame+RAW Kit

GoldenMotor.com

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
Im posting pics of the frame I've found that will be my base for a RAW motor KIT.
I've finished two Electric Motor bikes and ride them silently all over Hollywood and downtown LA daily. I made a 48 volt Hub motorized Schwinn Stingray conversion out of a 24 volt Schwinn Electric Stingray that melted down after only 3 months that go's 35mph easily
As well as a Currie E zip Mountain Trails 24volt electro-drive that I've converted Battery packs on to run twinn pairs of APC 12volt 9 amp SLA' mounted on the top of the rear rack.
These two bikes have a heavy duty quality and Weight too the stinger weight over 100 lbs
the Currie 80lbs
I believe I can build a Motorized Gas bike that will weigh Half that!!!

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Welcome aboard. Very cool frame you have there and different than any other straightbar frame I have seen. It is interesting how the front part of the middle tube has a curve to it. Good luck on the build!

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'll be interested to know how you get along in the Hollywood area with a gas bike. I recall getting a ticket down there on the boulevard on a Friday night back in the '80's for not having a license plate light on my rebuilt Fiat spider 850 convertible.

Your electrics sound cool, but maybe you should use more modern and lighter bikes.

Here's a build I'm working on. I got this Scwinn Traveller bike for $5 from a junk dealer last summer, switched alloy rims for the steel ones it had, and now fitting a small 49cc slant with a custom ground 34 sprocket, and a chrome tank and chrome extended muffler that should be extra quiet.

It's going to have a single speed freewheel and I may be using a narrow chain and sprocket on the motor if I can fit them- everything is being considered to keep the weight minimal, and I wouldn't chance building on a lighter frame myself. Projected final weight about 37 pounds or so- and with the narrow wheels, it should roll pretty well.

(p)^5

Attachments

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
A trophy winner for sure! I notice that Weight calculates into distance when going electric. But I found out there are hardly any E-bikesthat are bullet proof. It seems that only "this Year" have they become reliable.
I'm always looking in the internet for these alternative vehicles but I am a chaeap as anyone I know.
I'm very proud on my Stingray because I morphed realy nicely.
Currently "Front Hub Motors" can power a bike without requiring any skills.
In my case I neede to Hack saw an section of my chopper Forks to allow for the width of the Huge Hub up front. it was a easy tash and is not even noticable I also had a situation abut the Stingray chopper seat, Mine spit from the seat post because I always lifted the rear of the bike from the seat bar.
I had a dilema for a minut but found a girlfriend who always comes up with the perfect fix, In this case a White sparkly banana set made some time in the sixtys. I simply set a one inch chrome tube in the seat post slot and drilled straight thru bolted that end and ran the banana set straight back to just above the rear hub. I then stole two rods from a rear rack and secured the rear. this is the best seat I have ever had it polished up like new and is a reminder that Americans make good s*it.
my lowrider chopper e/ectric stingray is a one of a kind there will never be anoter one this detailed . It has all the original Lightning bolts and special edition trim from the white elephant I bid $160 on in june 2008, it seems the rear hub motor it came with gets hot and melts down on a steep hill in 100degree weather. Mine locked up completely. It was a simple task to replace my rear 20X4.125 stinger hub for a one speed I bought the same time as my chopper because I never trust any thing I get from china. it fit in the same slots and uses the same tire. Up front I discarde the 24X2.125 80 spoke rim with this State of the Art 2009 three phase three wire hub motor buit on a similar size heavy duty rim I thing these spoke ar 10 gauge. It is a bullet proof hub that just starts spinning when throttled by a dud dum pattern in the controller. its rated at 12,000 watts or one and one quarter horsepower. I am 170 lbs and this chopper is at least 100 lbs with 4 12 volt 12 amp SLA's on board It pulls a hill with hardly a whimper and speeds downtown at over 30mph that 10 miles an hour over the federal regulations. It has unlimited speed potential and rides smooth on that lowrise frame. a real{" Keeper"
I will happily post my progress here in Hollywood Hills it seems there are thousands of engineer types loosing sleep over these Kid Toys.
My chopper and I have been Hit by cars thrown off a moving train and have never even flinched. it seems the "FLY" as I call it is Bullet Proof now.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I could be wrong, but I'm not sure thats a Schwinn?
I've never seen one with the straight bar curved in the front like that, & the dropouts don't look right. (Schwinns have smaller dropouts)
I'll do some research....

Anyone else know??

Last edited:

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
well it may not have Schwinn Papers but all of their recods burnt in a fire, also they had problems being a Monopoly so they double booked
It has a typical rear dropout fro the thirtys. the head tube is oversized so the schwinn stats firt right. I set the RAW motor in the frame and was hooked it sits there like is is made for it. I had to buy every other piece new to make it work. so rims are 12 gauge three piece crank conversion with long shaft. It came with Phantom 1940 fenders and light that are useable and way wide bars so I may have it mocked up by thursday or friday I still have a email out regarding the numbers on frame they coincide with a 1935

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i didn't think it was a schwinn, either. the straightbar isn't right, with that little downturn at the head tube, and the way it joins with the top tube in the back at the seat tube. and the rear triangle and dropouts are just, wrong. not to mention the quality of brazing. schwinns are way better.

so, i looked around, and found out what it is (i'm pretty sure.)

it's either a Huffman "dial-your-ride" or a Huffy "Radiobike." which is basically the same bike. the huffman is late fortys, and the radiobike is mid to late '50's.

but don't feel bad that it's not a schwinn, if you could restore it to original (good luck ;)) it'd be worth ten times as much as a schwinn would go for.

a radiobike sold for $4400 at the Copake auction, and the only dial a ride i saw for sale was beat, and went for $950 on ebay.

don't get all excited and think you can turn over your bike for a profit, though. the reason those bikes are worth so much is because one's got a radio, and the other has a springer fork you can adjust with a dial. without those, you just got a cool, vintage huffy (and by the way, the radio bike was probably the last quality bike huffy made. after that, they pretty much went way down in quality.)

Attachments

Last edited:

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
I did buy it as a pre war frame. The dial a ride had intregued me but I'm not as dilligent as You have been.
I now know its a HUFFY, That is a final title that I can claim . :thanks to your Persistance:
Yes thank You. I had just attempted to install the headset and it didnt co minge with a one inch springer head tube.
I may have gained the springer, Phantom Fenders,New Seat and Handlebars as Yard sale cast off from a tight lipped collecter. Hed had multiple frames and at least a dozen buildables languishingin his garage

Next clue is to locate that headset. I used a Wald 4080 and the one inch tube wont pass thruit may be 7/8 inner, is it possible to change my springers one inch or maybe inch and an eighth.
I jst remeasured that springer tube its a hair over an inch
is it a common fix or do I customize LOL.flg..flg..flg.

Last edited:

pre-war Schwinn

Nov 15, 2009
Los Angeles 90039
Duhhhhh It isn't Pre-War no More .
I guess I have a "Beginners First build on budget" Frame and its not MURRY WoW!
I must now start {Post War}Frame+RAWkit
this is the most Excitement I've had since claiming " UnOfficial Mayor of "Surf City" huntington beach
I have a co worker who commutes every time he gets a Call. He Updated me on the Popular Motorized Beach Cruiser.
Now Whizzer I made a friend in a purchase of his 1949 Barbra Ann Bread Truck. He didnt need it anymore to run Cedar Shake to Roofing Jobs up in Arrowhead.
While discussing the three hundred dollar price "same as my rent" by telling me he would throw in a Whizzer Motor if I came right away.
I drove from HB to Riverside in just onve 18 minutes in my 1967 GTO with a bullet proof Buick 350 in it.
the Wizzers are a Houshold Name at the Beach
I knew the old stuff is safe with the railroad cap wearing Whiz Kids
All I am going to do is Hit the" stripped by razorblade" bare frame with Eazy Off Qven Cleaner and
put new SS 12 gauge rims and a whole bunch New Parts stamped out in Asia

its really nice to have myself surrounded with Motorized Bikes
I had contemplated a Currie E Zip Duel fuel +RAW kit but the "StraightBar" was calling my name I got to Long Beach in 49 minutes in my32valve Lincoln MarkVIII he and the Roofer sell bikes for a living.
I could go the Riverside Schwinn Bicycle Store and get a New Stamp Steel pot metal bike from my Grundig aluminum Barbra Ann Step Van with a Chevy 235 Stove bolt sis and 49 steering wheel and gauges
I think the Post War Steel was really rust resistant dance1dance1

Last edited: