Hello and Thank You

GoldenMotor.com

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
Just wanted to say Thanks . I started this week off really wanting a top tank moped . I'm fortunate enough to be in a community that is all things bicycles and scooters ( athens ga ) - well after getting a rolling chassis of a '78 Pacer super sport on monday for free from a local scooter shop , I decided it was a bit more work and money than what I wanted to throw at it . I gave up and moved on to what I have today . The local scooter shop assembled an MB for a customer , after 7 mos. the customer had still not picked it up . I gave them 50 bucks and was on my way ! It was mounted on a crapola - ready for the trash bin rusted Free Spirit MTB from the 90's - so I disassembled the bike . I just happened to have a Mongoose Justice on the side of my house that would be the perfect starting point for my project . After reading pages and pages of this forum , I realized I needed a universal front mount . I ordered from SBP ( on Wed it was here today ) my ride is finished , just took it out for a spin and its even more than what I anticipated, since I knew all the pitfalls that go along with these ( thanks to all of you and your experience ) . Below are a few pics . Sorry for the long drawn-out intro .... I just wanted to thank everybody on this forum - you guys seem like a good bunch .Looking forward to the next build and mingling with you all . until next time
treyverb

Attachments

Last edited:

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
That bike looks like its made for these motors. I didn't have the priviledge of knowing about this site till after my bike was finally on the road. I know now I would have put it together in a quarter of the time I did and it woulda looked better too.

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
That bike looks like its made for these motors. I didn't have the priviledge of knowing about this site till after my bike was finally on the road. I know now I would have put it together in a quarter of the time I did and it woulda looked better too.
that's kinda what I thought ....
- so far so good :) trying to run out a tank gas out before tomorrow ,since I'm not leaving the neighborhood in fear of the flying chain tensioner , it may take me a bit longer . The only thing that's happened so far is the chain falling off . no biggie - may have to get the tensioner welded or something - it would be nice to do a few miles and not have to worry about it . I haven't really noticed the vibration everybody talks about . I really thought it was going to beat me to death like an ancient mini bike . Thanks again guys - glad to be here ...

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
I had huge problems with the chain coming off. Filing the edges a bit on each tooth of both sprockets helped bigtime. Don't think I'd want to weld the tensioner as you may want to move it as the chain stretchs. Many users here drill a small hole and use a screw or bolt for a safety precaution. I'm still trying to come up with another solution. I do have something simple in mind and will try it tomorrow.

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
I had huge problems with the chain coming off. Filing the edges a bit on each tooth of both sprockets helped bigtime. Don't think I'd want to weld the tensioner as you may want to move it as the chain stretchs. Many users here drill a small hole and use a screw or bolt for a safety precaution. I'm still trying to come up with another solution. I do have something simple in mind and will try it tomorrow.
I'll file the teeth first thing in the a.m. and see if that does the trick ;)

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
Hey Everybody ,
well the weather was crappy all day lots of rain and in the 40's . I didn't let that stop me from tinkering all day . After I read your posts , I decided to start from scratch on the rear wheel . I got a nice used 26 incher from the LBS today , installed a freewheel , reinstalled the rag joint and made sure everything was as true as I could get . I put the wheel back on , slid the tensioner back towar the dropouts a tad and aligned the wheel in the chain stays and checked chain tension . Went out for a 2 mile ride and no issues . The little guy fired right up in the sub par conditions . Cant wait to break the engine in :) I would like to get a speedo asap to figure out my speed ( i'm guessing low 20's ) ..

treyverb

Oct 13, 2009
athens ga
Same top speed for me too, very low 20's. Still waiting for the magic. Just hit the 300 miles.
I like that - waiting for the magic :)

I can tell you this ... my '86 Honda Elite 150d scooter has not been getting any attention since I get this thing :p

marts1

Sep 18, 2009
Oshawa Ont CA
Yes, they are quite the entity. I would not be on a bike at all in this colder weather if it wasn't for the motor. The convenience and thrill of it tends to make me chill out in the cold. :)

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
feels like a million dollars the first time you go out and everything is working. very nice looking motorized bicycle. sounds like you are addicted to this like the rest of us. glad to have you with us. its extra nice living in summer all year round for riding