First build MTB Ideas

GoldenMotor.com

Acrid

Apr 21, 2014
Seattle, WA.
Hey guys, I've been reading up a bit but wanted to shoot it past the experts before going overboard. Maybe it's a bit much for a first-timer with limited bicycle technical experience -have done motorcycle maintenance but really just spark plugs, oil change, brake fluid, carb. clean.
Anyway, here's the wish list. I'm thinking a steel frame Specialized Hard Rock with disc brakes:confused:, a that'sdax 80cc 2 stroke kit, the fattest puncture resistant tubes/tires it can manage, 44t sprocket for some hill climbing and rear rack to mount a motorcycle quick-release top case for tools and groceries, and a little alarm system just to be safe.
I weight about 160lbs. 6'1" and don't want/need to go very fast, safety is more my concern until I get used to things.
Anybody use muffler wrap for those hot pipes?

Thanks for reading my long-winded BS

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas
Steel frame Specialized would be a good start. You'll need at least a 19" frame to fit a CG engine. Disc brakes are best, but for the rear it's tricky unless you get a jackshaft/shift kit or one of those funky drive sprocket-disc brake adapters. Running a 180mm disc in front and some sticky rim brakes in the rear is sufficient.

For tire size, that is going to depend on your frame you ultimately choose since you'll have to not only fit the tire in the rear triangle, but also have to adapt the drive chain around it. I'm pretty sure all guys run a 26x1.95 tire with zero issues and some go 2.125 and 2.25.

Some folks have used pipe wrap, but mostly on expansion chambers that come really close to the rider's legs.

And btw, your post is far from long-winded BS to me. ;) Good luck with the build.