My New Barn Find!!!

GoldenMotor.com

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
$300 for a tank???? That's ridiculous, for that price you could buy a welder and material for the tank and still have change left in your pocket..... Or another option is keep an eye on EBay for "vintage stationary engines" and you will probably buy an old stationary engine just for the tank for well under $50.

In saying that you have done an awesome job making an ugly peanut tank look good, but hard to deny a rear tank would look better. But like I said you can do that sometime in the future so I agree with Killerkanuck and ride the wheels off that thing for now.... I know I would. So cooooooool!!!!!!!!!

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
I have seen peanut tanks mounted on the luggage rack before. Looked pretty good too.
You could also look on Ebay, search small engines, or gas tanks, and you will find some old school cylindrical tanks .

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Yes, some kind of tank on the rear rack would improve the looks over the peanut tank . The old inframe tank you have looks real nice.

If Sportscarpat is selling stainless steel in frame tanks for $150.00 then he's giving them away. He only makes them for the Panther and Worksman frame anyway. $300.00 for a one off in frame tank well made is reasonable. True, you could by a welder and make your own if you are able. One thing I guarantee is that it will take longer than you might imagine unless you are already a skilled welder.

A cylindrical tank from an old lawn mower would look good on that rack.
SB

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
The tank I bought from Pat was $150.oo but it is not an inframe tank it attaches to a laid back seat post, you can see it on the bike in the pic next to "Truckd" it is very nice and I got it pretty quick,also got the laid back seat post in the same order, I went to a pet store and bought two leather dog collars (brownl in color) then strapped them around the tank so it not only gives that vintage look but they look like their holding the tank on as well,I also have a Dan Taylar inframe Worksman gas tank that needs bung, cap, and mounting slugs installed for sale Hint, Hint, any body, if you want to see the seat mounted tank go to the thread titled "Ol' Blue" in the beach cruiser section on the 8th page

Last edited:

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Thanks for all the input, I had planned on putting a cylinder style tank mounted on the back of the saddle but I decided to use the peanut till I found the right one. And I found out nobody but us builders have a problem with them. The only MB most people have ever seen is a whizzer and they have a tank. So to your average Joe it looks right. It has actually grown on me ill keep it till I find the Perfect tank then ill worry about it.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
With a few mods you can also take two of those kit tanks and run them side by side on the back bone then take a piece if sheet aluminum and run it over the gap on the top of the tanks to give a very cool dual bobber effect, a friend of mine did it and the dorky-ness of those kit tanks vanished

camerart

Mar 4, 2012
Poole
Hi,

A nice bike.

Can you tell me, as I'm in the Uk, is it legal to put an engine in a bike in the USA and run it on the road? In the UK it isn't.

Cheers, Camerart UK.

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
...Can you tell me, as I'm in the Uk, is it legal to put an engine in a bike in the USA and run it on the road? In the UK it isn't...

lol such a seemingly simple question, unfortunately there's no simple answer as it depends entirely on what state & what engine, even then it's often a definitive "maybe" heh, check this section out if you want some examples of simply amazing legal contradictions & convolutions: Laws and Legislation

Welcome to the place though camerart ;)

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hi,

A nice bike.

Can you tell me, as I'm in the Uk, is it legal to put an engine in a bike in the USA and run it on the road? In the UK it isn't.

Cheers, Camerart UK.
In some states it is legal in the U.S, in other states it is illegal...... Here in Australia, at least the state i live, it is also illegal.

Its a shame that it is illegal over there because you guys in the U.K have some pretty awesome and unique vintage bikes, vintage parts and vintage engines rather cheaply at your disposal, yet we rarely if ever see U.K members on this forum.

It hasnt stopped me from enjoying this hobby though, i still love building these bikes, no reason you cant do the same.

Sorry to take this thread off topic. But id like to see more British members shre this hobby.

camerart

Mar 4, 2012
Poole
It seems to be more illegal than legal, which puts me off from an IC powered bike. The laws in USA seem complicated, I wouldn't want to 'motor'bicycle round.

I think I might try electric, this seems to be more welcomed.

I wonder if it is legal (here especially) to power the cycle by electric motor and battery, with a unconnected generator (Perhaps in a trailer) to charge a spare battery, that could be swapped over.

True, there is a lot of 'junk' around the UK, but this is drying up fast. The barns are now converted to houses, and we are not allowed in scrapyards anymore, sad but true.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
No license, no insurance, just obey rules of the road and wear a helmet in California
as long as it is peddle assisted

camerart

Mar 4, 2012
Poole
Hi Truckd,

You've got it good, it seems.

Actually I seem to have hijacked The [My New Barn Find!!!] thread, so I'll continue on a new thread.

Cheers.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
With a few mods you can also take two of those kit tanks and run them side by side on the back bone then take a piece if sheet aluminum and run it over the gap on the top of the tanks to give a very cool dual bobber effect, a friend of mine did it and the dorky-ness of those kit tanks vanished
aww yea, combine that with 2door's foam forming, that'd look sick!

Sorry to continue the derail Mark, you set a fire! :) I guess I was a little over-zealous with my $300 estimate, but even $150 is nuts. Wayne has the right idea with his cylindrical idea, and eBay post. Bid bid bid! :p Or there's the pvc route too...(search pvc tanks in the top google search-they all come back here)

mogger7

Mar 17, 2012
Gloucester Va.
Hello everyone I'm new to your forum as of today . I'v been play'n with old willys jeeps for years and have 7 of them and have played with cushman scooterss and have 2 of those and today picked up a nice 46(I think) whizzer Just thought I'd sit back and read some of your post
Thanks
mogger7

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Calif law in the D.M.V. HAND BOOK state that the M/B must be registered once for a fee of under $20.oo only once for the duration of your possesion, if sold? the new buyer must do the same, no yearly tags exc.exc. however when I went to the D.M.V. they showed documentation that I didn't have to Reg. it so I got some paper work any way and am filling it out just in case.
As far as the gas tank that mounts behind the seat it is S.S and will not rust nor do you have to coat the tank, once you get over the sticker shock you'll see it is well worth it! and what a deal you did get.There are alot of alternatives if you can't afford one of Pats Tanks and the first one is to go to a Lawn Mower shop and see if they can either order one or have a used one from an old rotter tiller, but you'd still have to find away to mount it firmly,second alt is to get a Tomatoe juice can and make it(sodering all components)third is a S.S. water bottle or kitchen canter(sugar container) and fab it out as well.
I'm not rich either but I told myself when I started doing these bikes I wasn't going to skimp because I'd pay for it in the end and didn't want to be broken down by the side of the road with no means or any $$, so no matter what you decide to build,buy or try DON'T!! cut corners, I'd rather wait & save then to make haste and waiste

Motorbikermark

Nov 16, 2011
Western N.C.
Here is a slideshow showing my 1949 Western Flyer from the time I purchased it to current. I am now at a point where I can't possibly think of anything else short of an original "Whizzer Engine Kit" that I would add and that will have to wait til kids are out of college and money starts to flow again. I must say I have enjoyed this project more than any I have done in quite a while, I am also more proud of it than almost any other. I have taken it to a couple Cruise ins as well as a Car show and the response to it was more than I could have hoped for. I hope you enjoy seeing it as much as I have enjoyed building it. http://s1120.photobucket.com/albums/l486/motorbikermark/