Sportsman Flyer Drop Loop Boardie Kits

GoldenMotor.com

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Hi Pat, exquisite as usual. Here's one: The World of Motorcycles | Custom, Racing, & Vintage Motorcycles I see what you're doing or when I got to see Phoenix Motorbikes stuff at Portland and get humbled as I drool!
Funny, they don't list Simplex bikes in the American section. They started in 1925. My Uncle had one of their mid 40's, just like the one in this article...
Inside Art New Orleans: What Would a New Orleans Motorcycle Look Like?
Great bikes made in the South!!!
I'd like to see this kind of frame with a Morini in it. Who cares about the pedals.

P.S. I never put the two together but my Great Uncle worked for Western Union. And I just saw this picture of all the WU guys standing with their Simplex bikes. A "Duh" moment.

Last edited:

Whizzerd

Nov 20, 2009
Muncie,IN
Darren, google 'Simplex Servicycle' for an interesting read. Joe, if that's you in your Avatar, do people mistake you for Kenny Rogers?

MarkInMLB

Feb 22, 2009
FL, USA
Pat, your bikes are just incredible! The next time you plan a run, please keep me in mind, I'm definitely interested! By the way, I don't think anyone has really commented on this detail in particular, but your dropped bars really add to the look. I do have a question for you. Have you seen the Felt Abraham springer fork? I was wondering how they compare strengthwise/laborwise to the monarch's your strengthening, and if you had considered using them at all. I'm not a welder at all, so maybe the upgraded ones are stronger than the "bent" Felts. Just wondering...

Keep up the GREAT work, and I look forward to giving you some money someday (well, maybe "looking forward to" is a bit strong...:))

-Mark

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Mark,
Thanks for the input. I have been working hard on this project and just wish I could spend more time in the shop. I draw during breaks and lunch at work, my day job, then hit the shop in the evenings and weekends. I have seen pictures of the forks you mention but have yet to work with them. The Monarks I use are working out well so I will continue with them for now. I have drawings for various different style forks from truss rod to leaf spring but at this point I have not found the time to build any. Same with frames, I have some cool custom ideas but these will have to wait till later. In the mean time I will continue to move forward with current designs and then release more products as time goes on. When your ready I would be happy to set you up with a Flyer of your own!
Pat

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hey Pat,

Ran across some cool patents on early motor cycle design. I think you might find the pics interesting at least. I posted the link to my google account and shared it for anyone to look at. The file is 7mb so it may take a couple minutes to download.

Looking forward to more news on your project and more pics of course. It is really great. Couple questions...where did you get your Whizzer engines from? Also, the other engine, the Morini? Where did you land that one, nearly 10 horses sounds like plenty of power.

https://docs.google.com/fileview?id...EzNDMtN2E1NTkxYTM1YzZl&hl=en&authkey=CNqXsesM

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Tom, like you I am always looking for and finding old patents drawings of motor bicycling's beginnings. I want to thank you for sharing your discoveries with Pat & the members of our fine forum!

Those old drawings are amazing and inspiring!

As David Lee Roth of rock band Van Halen sang the lyric's to Everybody Wants Some, ( Whoa. Where'd you get that stuff ), & ( Look. I'll pay ya for it, what the heck ) words stuff & heck are replacements for original words in the lyrics. This song runs through my head when I see or find these or similar lost gems, that are motor bike related!

^Can you say Everybody wants some, I want some Too !!! ^

I wonder if those patents have expired, someone with the right skills & resources could make a fortune for themselves reproducing those old motor bikes or parts of them like those Harley forks or the complete frames.

We are fortunate to have sportscarpat as a member of our forum and as a manufacturer / supplier of vintage style motor bikes & components, Thanks Pat !!!

Peace All Crazy Horse.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
That is exactly what I was thinking. With today's technology getting those drawings into cad and having them reproduced would be a snap. I figured if someone dug hard enough and overturned a few rocks, you may even be able to find more detailed drawings and reproduce these beautiful bikes from long ago. As far as patent is concerned, my only experience with that was back in my biotech days, and I want to say that the patent was only good for 10 or so years, then generics could be made against the formulation. Not sure how it applies to the motorcycle world.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Tom,
Your input on this thread has been very helpful. The patent information is a amazing and I will be digging through all pages closely. Just a quick look and I saw the 1915 Harley that looks to be the same as the blueprint you found the other day. Just those two drawings and the one of the gas tank are enough to build up a very convincing replica. The Whizzer engine I have belongs to the future owner of WZ Flyer #1. The Morini was slated to go into my own Racer model. I also have one Morini engine available. Back on the patent information there is one picture of the early drive train that need further investigation. That is the left side drive system. This needs to be recreated for a Whizzer drivetrain. Here is the drivetrain picture. This system coupled to a Whizzer engine in a WZ Flyer would make one cool boardie. Tom and Crazyhorse can you guys locate the freewheel assembly on the pedal crank? Maybe a modified setup from SBP?

Last edited:

Crazy Horse

Dealer
Feb 20, 2009
USA
Pat, I'm in my OCD mode looking for the design of the pedal crank assembly that you are describing, like Tom the only thing that I've found recently is this below which I think you already have.

HARLEY - Google Patent Search

Here is a pic of the pedal crank as patented by W. S. Harley filed in 1912 patent granted 1914.

It may be possible to design one from scratch with your skills Pat.

Pat, ? Do you also have access to or do you plan to cast your own parts for your products ?
I do know that die casts are not cheap but once you've got em they'll pay for themselves, if those guys over at Timeless motor company can reproduce a 1910 Harley, Pat I will only guesstimate at what you can do with your skills.

Pat, here is another 1912 patent drawing of the rear triangle pedal crank looks like left side single drive with drum brake rear hub.

If there is anything I can do research or otherwise within reason, don't hesitate to ask Pat!!!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Nice work Joe! This even shows the eccentric bottom bracket for chain adjustment from engine to bicycle crank. Then adjust rear wheel. It can be built but would be a big project. Someone somewhere has to have this system available. I hate to reinvent the wheel.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
glad you are enjoying the drawings, I sure thought they were neat. As far as parts or aftermarket, I am pretty new to all this so I am not really even sure where to look or what I would be exactly looking for.

I was curious Pat, do you have a source for the Whizzer engines? If so, what do they go for? I saw an old one, cant remember the year...and it was going for 500 bones. Some other site was charging as much as 2K for a vintage one that was bench tested...ouch! Must be a supply and demand thing cause these little engines cannot be that expensive to mass produce.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Tom,
Whizzer engines are a tough one. The late model NE-5s are the ones to buy from what I hear, or a true vintage one. There is a guy on ebay selling repos pretty cheap but I hear they have a few problems. I do know of a couple guys in L.A. working on fixing the problems but will have to wait and see how they work out.

MarkInMLB

Feb 22, 2009
FL, USA
Tom,
I also want to thank you for posting that link. I love looking at those old drawings, and trying to get into the head of the creative individuals that were presenting them...

Now gentlemen, if I can direct your attention to pages 97 - 110... PLEASE Pat!!!.weld It would make commuting to work so much more fun!!!laff

And its a sidecar to boot!!!