Tension and Tighten project

GoldenMotor.com

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
....first off taking another link out wouldn't work and allow it to reconnect again. So I wanna make/fabricate my own chain tension/tightening point and make it adjustable too.

Realized today that my chain is actually looser than I want it to be. Thanks [email protected] to have his hand built front wheel disc brake system added. The chain runs over top of the chain stay instead of under it. I opted to not use the pulley because its not built for the OCC Chopper chain stay.

The plan is to go to my favorite store for DIY projects and find the pieces and parts needed to make this tension point. My possible anchor points will be the seat post next to the chain or the seat stay right above the chain.

I like going in and not knowing what I need to buy but knowing exactly what will work when I spot it.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
You might be able to adjust the engine chain length by adding or removing material from the rear mount.
Cutting the stock rear mount block shortens the chain
Adding shims lengthens it.
I'd try adding some shims first to avoid cutting anything, it doesn't take much to give you another link. I think it's a much better way to adjust your engine chain length without a tensioner than using half-links which are considerably weaker.

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
I tried to upload a few pics I took. iphones take huge pics too big for this forum I guess. My frame wouldn't work for those clamp type tensioners maniac but thanks and I'm wanting to avoid drilling any more than I have just to install the engine.

ResetBTTN

Mar 18, 2013
Killeen, TX
I have no idea how that would work WightBoy...thanks but I'm looking for something mounted or anchored at the seat post or the seat stay.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Keep in mind that the tension needs to be applied to the lower chain run, not the top.
The reason is that when the chain is under load, pulling the bike, the top chain run is all ready tight. It's the bottom chain that will go slack. Applying tension to the top of the chain defeats the purpose of a tensioner.

Yes, I've seen pictures of tensioners mounted on the top and the builders swear they work but the concept is contrary to engineering practice.

Tom