Fasteddys trike

GoldenMotor.com

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
After 2 and a 1/2 days of solid rain it cleared off this afternoon so I got the frame for the box drilled and mounted
If this fine weather continues I'm hoping to get some more done.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
These bed rails were hand forged in the mountains of Peru by Mayan monks while they chanted Whitney Houston tunes.

It still remains a mystery how they found their way to the wilds of Minnesota.

Ibedayank,
Hot, smoking drill bits but thankfully there were only two holes to drill in the bed rails. The other two were in normal steel.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Got more done in between rain showers. Thank Heavens I've been to the advanced course at the Silverbear School of Creative Staring and Bicycle Building because it's come in very handy the past couple of days.
Lots of plotting and planning but not enough to photograph. Just don't think that a few holes are going to grab anyones attention.

Had to tweek the rear part of the frame since the someone had messed with where it met the rear axle. Now it's straighter and lines up correctly.

I bought a triple tree set of front forks from Cycles U.S. They had a 30% off sale and I was able to catch the end of it so that helped. Thirty % off worked for me and I'm sure that it will be a few days before they get shipped because they must have been swamped with orders.

I'll call the plywood shop tomorrow and see about body panels and see if I can get the seat post welded on.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Rain has finally stopped so I was able to get somemore done.
Looks like it will work so I'll take it apart and prime the frame and the wood.
Top will hinge on one side to make it easier to get into.
I'm going to pad the top and cover it with Rich Corinthian Leather or maybe Naugahyde.

Neighbour across the street came over to look at it and the discussion drifted into how much beer it would hold. Told him a lot more than he and I could drink even if we stayed up all night.
Talk turned to tin liners with iced kegs and taps on the back. That wouldn't sell to well to our local police.
Gramps motoring along with a couple of taps on the back of the trike but my leg is twitching just thinking about it.

Click on the photo to see the rest of the photos on Photobucket.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Pops'
Funny you should mention that. Right after this 'little" problem I snapped back 3 Old Stock from my brothers stack. Being a recovering alki it wasn't a good idea but it sure felt better.

Steve.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Pops,
I was going to start out with "Once upon a time" but I think that's be done before.

We live on a bit of a hill and I started thinking that it would be a good idea just to coast down it to see how it handled so I pushed it up towards the top and got on it and off the adventure started.
Neighbours were impressed and were waving and yelling, looks good, and I have to admit that I was just a little puffed up with pride as we streaked for home. Now that old hill is just a tad steeper than it looks and as home plate got closer I went to slow down and I thought it was impressive that a guy who's crippled up could lift his foot up that high to push down on the front tire to slow down. The good news is that the brakes were at home safely in a box so they didn't suffer any damage.

During all this excitment I made the interesting discovery that when you put 250+ pound of pork on the seat it tends to jam the steering so it doesn't turn really well. Plus the problem that I'm going to have to skim past 2 cars and my camper and the rather steep ditch with which I've already lost one battle.

Sucess was very brief. As you know we have the famous soft pines here on the mainland, hence the name Pillow Pines and we have a dandy here in the front yard that is 12 feet around and a source of family pride.

I was able to gently kiss it with the front of the trike and at the same time realize a life long desire to do a hand stand. The best part was that my leg wedged itself between the trunk and a branch so I was able to keep doing the handstand until fully half the people on the street were able to marvel at that feat of daring and physical prowess.

As my brother was off looking for a ladder in the back yard so he could get me down, my pant leg ripped and I was able to reverse the handstand and land on the bike seat upright. Some years ago this would have been the source of greater pain but fortunately the intervening years have lessened the pain center to the point that it is now just uncomfortable.

Photos and a further description will follow later this evening.

Steve.

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
OK. What really happened to the original trike front end. It had a bend just in front of the pedal crank as well as a twisted head tube. My bet says that someone ran into it with the front of their car when they pulled into the garage and just nudged it enough to make it unusable.

When I sat on it the handle bars went to the right at an impressive angle. We took the forks out and put a piece of pipe in the head tube and got it straight but once it had weight on it they went to the right again.
I cut the down tube and was going to straighten the forks when I saw that the down tube was bent at the crank so I just cut if off and fit the Schwinn to it

The Schwinn is a 1942 The World. Silverbear bought it from the original owners sister who also used it. Her name is Dorothy and Silverbear and I refer to it as Dorothy's bike. Silverbear was kind enough to give it to me when I was coming home last summer and it has been sitting wrapped up in the trailer waiting for it's chance to once again ride the roads. I hope I've done it justice.

I'll put it away now until I get a Cyclone electric motor that Pops is holding for me. It's an add on motor that drives a second chain ring that is supplied along with the pedals and crank. The motor fits behind the seat post so I won't paint it until I see just what the motor needs to be mounted. He was kind enough to offer it to me a a very much discounted price.

Billy Thunder also gave me a Curry motor of the same type but I plan to use that on a trike that will not be like my usual builds.

The trike will also be sporting a genuine Silverbear rebuilt seat.

Now it's back to the Indian tri-cars.

As always click on the photo to see the rest on photobucket

Steve.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Dorothy's bike lives on! Excellent. Very few of those were made in 42 as we were going to war. Dorothy's big sister got the bike new and when she graduated from high school in 1946, I believe, passed it down to Dorothy who has had it all this time. Garage kept and ready to ride when I bought it for $25.00 summer before last. I think we can be pretty sure it will be the only 1942 Schwinn ladies The World trike in existence. When you get it all done I'd like to send her a picture so she knows her bike is alive and well, living in British Columbia in a new life as a motor tricycle, much admired by all who see her. The original paint is in remarkably good condition considering. Blue and cream with a clear decal of The World on the upper front down tube You've got yourself a time machine, Bud.
SB

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
Fasteddy

Well....I'm speechless....
I take my EYES OFF of you
for 1 #@*% second and
LOOK what happens.

OOOH YESSS.
There you are showing off,
to the whole neighborhood..
Dooin the old handstand
in the tree thing again.
WHEN WILL YOU LEARN BOY

You ever think about writing comedy before.
I laughed so hard I think a
little pea might have come out.
Man, Your a natural...
I'm glad you really didn't hurt a whole lot
more than your pride,
and them old rusty thangs.

Take 2 pills and call me in the morning.
I bet EVERYTHING HURTS.

Your Bike looks absolutely, one off unreal.
Ride PROUD my friend.
Your not going to run into another
one at the mall for sure.

Kudoos Silverbear

You could not have picked a better
Guy to cherish and compliment that bike.

Steve

My fingers are sore from typing and
sanding my 79 Linclon Mobster Kar today.

I'll talk at ya soon

Rick

Ya know I feel pretty stupid...I guess I should have
read the whole thing before replying, had me going.

POPS

Last edited:

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Pops,
When I was young I was telling the fella next to me what happened and why the limp and the scrapes and bruises. I could see that the shop foreman was listening but what the heck I'm working as I'm talking.

After I'd finished telling my workmate the story, sure enough the foreman walks over and
and the first thing out of his mouth is "You must have come from a small villiage".
I looked at him of course wondering just what he was talking about and the answer was soon coming.
He said " Every villiage has and idiot and a story teller and since your villiage was so small they combined the two".
I'm smiling as I type this because he was a great person but felt he had to have a hard shell to be boss. I'm certain many people on here had a boss like that.

1979 Lincoln Mobster Kar! I'd make sure that I cleaned the trunk really well, just incase.

Steve.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Just found this AWESOME trike you have going,nice plywood on the back. You guys are doing a lot of bikes at one time..............Curt

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Curt,
We're busier than fleas on a hot griddle. I'm lucky in that we have a small plywood shop near us that has some really nice wood.

Glad you like the trike.

Steve.