Connecticut laws

GoldenMotor.com

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Good day. I've been building and riding for quite some time here in Connecticut. I've had my share of pull overs and never had a bike taken. I've been ticketed once for exceeding the db limit for exhausts, but was thrown out in court.

Anyways in regards to Connecticut's motor assisted bicycle laws, here goes, ( links at bottom)
1. Under 5 bhp (brake horse power)
2. Minimum seat height of 26"
3. Valid driver's license.

Nowhere in their language (glossary) does it require head protection unless aged 17-18. But it's a smart move to at least wear d.o.t. approved glasses to protect your eyes.
On another note, i found a loophole of sorts. The state of Connecticut does not require pedals to be a functional bicycle. That carries over into motor assisted bicycles as well. If a bicycle does not require pedals to be a bicycle, then they are also not required on motor assisted bicycles (helper motors)

I'm no lawyer, but I've checked with one (my landlord) and he's in 100% agreeance with me in regards to the legal lingo.

Hope this helps my fellow nutmeggers, and any visitors.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=430480

http://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2011/title14/chap248/Sec14-286.html *this link shows the amendment to pedal requirements

You'll need to utilize their glossary to see the under 5bhp rule.

Reactions: Dan

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
Either the cops up there in Waterbury are jerks, or you're a ****-raiser. I never got a second glance from the Fairfield, Bridgeport, or Westport cops. Spent the last 3 years at least buzzing around Suffolk County, NY with no issues either, and these babies are ILLEGAL here!

How's the kid? Hope all's well Wickedest!

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Good day. I've been building and riding for quite some time here in Connecticut. I've had my share of pull overs and never had a bike taken. I've been ticketed once for exceeding the db limit for exhausts, but was thrown out in court.

Anyways in regards to Connecticut's motor assisted bicycle laws, here goes, ( links at bottom)
1. Under 5 bhp (brake horse power)
2. Minimum seat height of 26"
3. Valid driver's license.

Nowhere in their language (glossary) does it require head protection unless aged 17-18. But it's a smart move to at least wear d.o.t. approved glasses to protect your eyes.
On another note, i found a loophole of sorts. The state of Connecticut does not require pedals to be a functional bicycle. That carries over into motor assisted bicycles as well. If a bicycle does not require pedals to be a bicycle, then they are also not required on motor assisted bicycles (helper motors)

I'm no lawyer, but I've checked with one (my landlord) and he's in 100% agreeance with me in regards to the legal lingo.

Hope this helps my fellow nutmeggers, and any visitors.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=810&q=430480

http://law.justia.com/codes/connecticut/2011/title14/chap248/Sec14-286.html *this link shows the amendment to pedal requirements

You'll need to utilize their glossary to see the under 5bhp rule.
brb moving to Conneticut.

but seriously, those are some pretty good laws you got there. Here in Oregon I have to just ignore my laws because there's no way I'm limiting myself to 34ccs and 20 mph.

Wickedest1

Oct 31, 2012
connecticut
Either the cops up there in Waterbury are jerks, or you're a ****-raiser. I never got a second glance from the Fairfield, Bridgeport, or Westport cops. Spent the last 3 years at least buzzing around Suffolk County, NY with no issues either, and these babies are ILLEGAL here!

How's the kid? Hope all's well Wickedest!
Hey kioshk, long time buddy. No i don't raise ****. They just really have nothing to do up here. Waterbury cops don't give 2 poops. Naugatuck is a different story. They're bored and look for any way to bust chops. It's ok tho. I know the laws, had them deciphered by my lawyer landlord and keep a printed laminated copy of the codes for them.

My daughter is getting big too quickly. She's all about motorbikes, or vroom vrooms as she calls them. I've modified a bicycle trailer for her to ride in. Made a mini roll cage and added an additional harness. I've also put sealed bearings in the wheels for it and it has its own lighting. She loves going on long rides, be it pedal or motor power.

I'm gonna have to throw the chop in the van and head down to good ole bpt for some Jamaican beef patties.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Great thread, thanks Wicked!

I didn't go threw your links yet but thanks for taking the time. Last yr, the MC hand book said under 5HP and the statute said the same and under 50cc. But am in Wethersfield. The cops laugh and wave when I go by. LoL, was talking to a cop yesterday. He said "Thats you!?" when I said I was the crazy guy on the motorized bikes.

Love the cops here. Pretty much all of them are just cool. I did see one guy once (think he got fired" But they had a kid handcuffed outside. An older lady in the bank line with me asked if every thing was OK when this one cop walked in. Not making this up. He put his hands on his hips, superman style and replied; "It is. Now that I'm here" Right hand raised and swear to Good. Verbatim what he said.

So I double over laughing. In front of God and every body. Stopped when I realized he was not joking, had a gun and was giving me the stink eye. Poor old lady just wanted to know if she was safe. The kid under aresst was busted for kiting a check. Not exactly Dillinger.

LOL, sorry for the Ramble buddy. Was just too funny.

But cops here are cool about MBs. When we gonna do a ride? I am crazy busy. (Opening my own mini-Uber) but we gotta do a ride. I'm gonna get the new BE e-start China girl kit.

http://www.bicycle-engines.com/E-STORM-BT80-Complete-80cc-Electric-Start-Engine-Kit.html

Says it's 5HP. Would be cool to have that much umph but kinda thinking it's eastern math again. Like the cc's thing.