Sportsman Electraflyer

GoldenMotor.com

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
Just starting a new build and really taking a direction change on this one. Well, at least in the engine (motor?) department. I rode an electric motorcycle recently and then a few electric powered bicycles. My first observations were they are fast and smooth. They also have fewer legal requirements to ride on the street. My problem is I am a gas engine gearhead through and through. I also like vintage designs and have always built bikes with this in mind. As time has gone on I have developed a nice basic vintage style pedal bicycle and have a standard drive train system to accommodate just about any engine. So, how do you go electric, stay vintage, and use the parts you have already developed? By building a cool looking v-twin engine case and stuffing the electric motor inside the crank case! So, here is what I have so far.....

I drew up a reasonable looking Indian V-twin, something that could easily be fabricated out of waterjet cut aluminum sheet, then formed where needed, and assembled. Here is what I have so far.

Electric Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Electric Flyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

The right side plate on the crank case is removable to install the electric motor. The electric motor has a c-face mount so it will bolt to the inside of the left hand crank case plate. The cylinders are hollow so additional batteries can fit inside, but initial plan is to mount the main battery pack inside the gas tank and locate the motor controller inside the tool box. This build will take some time as it is my first attempt at an electric bike.

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
This should be interesting. I always associate Sportsman Flyer with high quality precision machined and manufactured components and bikes. The connection for me isn't so much with a specific style although BTR is the form that comes to mind. I feel like I'm overstepping here but I'm assuming the point is feedback for the direction you've chosen. I'm more a fan of form follows function even though sometimes the function is purely aesthetic. That said I'm not sure what the intended function of the jugs might be.

I'd assume that you've already benchmarked this bike just in case:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/ruffian

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
Looks great Pat, you may want to have the battery packs in the cylinders and the controller in the tank area or all of it in the tank area, add fake spark plugs and run spark plug wire for the battery/motor power to the tank area. Wiring is always an issue and this will solve some of it. Let me know if you need a battery contact for custom stuff.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
This should be interesting. I always associate Sportsman Flyer with high quality precision machined and manufactured components and bikes. The connection for me isn't so much with a specific style although BTR is the form that comes to mind. I feel like I'm overstepping here but I'm assuming the point is feedback for the direction you've chosen. I'm more a fan of form follows function even though sometimes the function is purely aesthetic. That said I'm not sure what the intended function of the jugs might be.

I'd assume that you've already benchmarked this bike just in case:
http://www.ratrodbikes.com/ruffian

Hi Guys,
I appreciate everyone weighing in. Feedback is ALWAYS appreciated. I thought there was no such thing as fake "jugs". Seriously, though, I have to agree that form follows function. It's a tough project combining a new technology with an old one. How do you combine what appears to be a 1918 v-twin motorcycle with an electric motor? As far as the cylinders go the plan from the start has been to use them as additional battery storage so they are designed with that in mind. The volume will allow two additional battery packs to suppliment the main battery which will go in the gas tank. The cylinder fins will help radiate heat away from the batteries, so the cylinders do provide a function. The controller will fit into the oil tank/tool box. Anyway, we'll see how it all works out. For now here are a couple more pictures.

Here is the electric motor bolted to the left side crank case plate.

Electraflyer by Pat Dolan, on Flickr

Side plate reinstalled with the electric motor now inside the case. The drive sprocket protruding right where it needs to be. Reduction drive aligned to receive the primary drive chain. From there back it's my standard drive system I have been using. The frame/engine mount straps are now in place. So far I have tested these straps to about 7 or 8 hp without any failures so they should be good for this application.

Last edited:

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Looks great Pat, you may want to have the battery packs in the cylinders and the controller in the tank area or all of it in the tank area, add fake spark plugs and run spark plug wire for the battery/motor power to the tank area. Wiring is always an issue and this will solve some of it. Let me know if you need a battery contact for custom stuff.
Hi Jeff,
I may take you up on the custom battery contact. The gas tank battery can be either a 52v or 72v monster battery. The 52v will better lend itself to the battery stacks I can build for the cylinders. I do have plans to run spark plug wires and even have an intake and exhaust planned. It should be very difficult for most people to tell this is not a gas engine, although gear heads like us will know.

This view steps back to show drivetrain layout.

One more picture to show how the drive system is coming together. One thing for sure is I have way too much pedal crank offset with my standard wide pedal crank shaft. I have a few narrower ones kicking around the shop so will use the narrowest one I can dig up.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
Looks spectacular so far, I would imagine the electric version will be more expensive than the gas version? What average range are you shooting for?

Ron344

Oct 13, 2012
colorado
Nice Job Pat, I really like the idea of electric bike. I was wondering if your going to need a controller for this motor and if so where would you put it? At one point I was building an electric trike but put it on the back burner. I have found a 24v motor for it but would still need the battery's and a controller. Someday I will get back to it.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Cool new build Pat.

It reminds me of a forum Member here, David of Juicer Bikes, as seen here.

I hope that link worked, I am using my phone tonight.

The same 2 questions pop into my mind whenever I see an electric bike, what is the top speed, and what is the range per battery charge?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Otherwise, the faux engine looks sweet. I believe that the more details you can add, like carbs, exhaust, spark plugs, exposed push rods, magneto, etc. will really add to the illusion of an old I.C.E. engine.

Thanks for sharing,

Gilbert

doc jones

Oct 17, 2016
wales
Great build,

Had contemplated doing a battery version board tracker version over here, after re-building/updating my neighbours daughter's electric bicycle. Wired batteries in series via 1000w motor then took speed controller limiter out so she could achieve full power approx (30mph, bloody crazy). Some 13k miles so far and still going strong,averaging 30 miles per charge with occasional assisted pedalling. Could you not modify tank to make lid and pad out to put batteries in with speed controller too? Was thinking the centre of balance would not be too bad. The batteries will be quite heavy with some decent cabling which you could run through tube to simulate fuel pipe?? Just some crazy thoughts from an English nut.

indian22

Dec 31, 2014
Oklahoma
Thanks Gilbert for the link I'd intended a search today for the Juicer, but since I'd forgotten the name it would probably taken up some time. Very interesting interview and photos. Rick C.

sportscarpat

Jun 25, 2009
california
Hi Guys,
Lots of questions. Lets see:
Main battery should be a 52v 20ah residing in the gas tank area. The actual tank will be wider than my standard tank and have a removable bottom for battery access.
Secondary batteries, if and when added, will go into the cylinders which are designed for this application.
The controller, and yes it will need one, will go into the oil tank/tool box area.
I know from research that it's claimed a 52v 13ah will give 30 miles of range although I have no personal experience in this area. With a 52v 20ah I should then be good for more than 30 miles range. This range is reduced if ridden hard.
Current plans are for exhaust pipes which are almost done and looking really cool, then a carb and of course spark plugs and vintage plug wire. I am totally a function guy and have a hard time justifying non functional components, but like I said before this is a whole different animal. Walking up to a neat looking v twin without the pieces I just mentioned looked to naked to me like it just wasn't done.

On a different note, anyone remember the mattel vrroom? These were little plastic engines sold when I was a kid. You could bolt them into a stingray and as I recall they made engine noises. I was thinking, and yes this is totally lame and stupid, but I could make another fake engine out of really thin sheet metal similar to what I have done already, but it would not be for carrying an internal motor. It would just be for pedaling around in a cruiser bicycle. Vroom, vroom!

Reactions: Tom from Rubicon