Ebike Lite

GoldenMotor.com

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Got the battery tray finished. Naturally the threads in one of the rivnuts for the water bottle mount that the tray mounts to gave up. I knew it would spin loose when I tried to tap to 1/4-20. Had to remove it and bond in a 1/4" flange nut to replace it. So far so good.
Rode the bike to town this am. What a nice ride! I some times ride one of my CG bikes on errands but probably not much more. This thing is faster, infinitely smoother, and of course basically silent. Not knocking ICE bikes Ive got a bunch. But this will be the go to errand runner. I need to install some sort of speedo to track mileage. I think the range on this pack at the levels I ride will be quite good.

While this build is not technically amazing or extremely hi-performance, it is an assemblage of components that work well together to make a light very well balanced, comfortable, and relatively quick little Ebike. Just what I was hoping for!

Attachments

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
The first few, 5 maybe, charges I thought mine felt a little weak, but they seemed to get better after a couple cycles.
...Or else I just got used to them as they were.

I don't use the 12s now, after getting a taste of 16s.
It just takes twice as long to charge, as I have it now.

...1 more charger...Will it ever end! LOL

These are so much easier than the 5.0, they can get a bit confusing.
If a cell dies you only have to replace half the pack. Or 1 of 3 in the 16s.
You are not out the whole thing.
I mean if you can tear down, locate bad cells and rebuild your battery...wink...then you could fix some high dollar multi cell battery pack.
Most are probably not going to tear into their batteries.
Some of us just cant help ourselves. :)
zpt

Just did 10miles soft dirt.
3.50ah used

Last edited:

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Yeah The 12 is sedate compared to the 16s, but its not slow. I can certainly piggy back two 5AH 4s packs to these, Ive got plenty! Will need to go back to the CA3 for that. I'm limited to 15s now with the current controller. But hey I just happen to have two 3s 5Ah. Love the modular ability. I don't think I have ever had a cell fail. Ive certainly puffed a few packs. Got the itch to fly R/C the other day and pulled out my packs. They are over 3ys old and charged up just fine.

That's incredible you only pulled 3.5AH in 10mi being the WOT Wildman you are! Means I can go to the hardware store a bunch!

Lungcookie

Aug 15, 2013
Oregon
Hows the lite-bike been riding?

I was messing with the CA3, changing settings.
I noticed that at 18a/1000w CA3 limit, it was doing that 'hunting' feel,
as if it were surging like you were talking about.

I didn't notice that if I turned up the CA3 watt limit, 1500w to 2000w or below 1000w. 750w to 900w.

Just guessing, but maybe as you get close to the motor/battery/amp limit it is harder for the CA3 modify the signal.

Where-as, if you are above the limit (with the CA3) it is then the configuration of the motor/battery/amp setting, that limits.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
You maybe right. The first time I rode the bike with the CA3 it seemed to behave normally. I wasn't really hitting it hard as I was test riding it with out the bottom bracket/pedals as they were in shipping. With no place to put the feet I took it a bit easy. I later modified the factory settings and the trouble began. Maybe I should go back to the default settings and try that.

Will use the CA3 using the Hog hunting bike as the test bed. Otherwise the lite bike is doing perfectly. I really like the 10ah packs!